Short Whip fishing.

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Enjoyed the article Peter.Very informative & helpful although not a method I have ever tried as you know.

As & when the kids hopefully take up fishing, I will certainly start them a short whip.No fuss with casting & tangles kept to a minimum.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nigel, you might give this some thought for a little later in the year at Britford after those Roach?
I think that an 8m whip with a suitable rig, held back in some of those, "holes," might be a good approach.

D

david bruce 1

Does anyone remember an angler called Ray Mumford. He who brought the continental pole methods to the UK (R Thames if I recall). Must be +40 years ago but I can still remember the articles in the Angling Times. I was fishing with an old gent (+75)at the time, a famous local angler, and it amused me to see him using an old roach pole made of bamboo with line attached to the tip. Is there anything new?

B

Big Steve

After trying to get my son into fishing a few years back, all that we managed to do was cause frustration. As a 6 year old he couldn't master the timing needed to cast nor which way to turn the real handle. Result - birds nest every time. We were fishing Lynn-a-Gors on Anglesey and were having the same problems when the owner came round. After a brief chat he suggested a solution. The Whip. He sold them in his shop on site. The best ?10 I've spent. It came with a made up rig and disgorger. My lad used it for the remainder of the day. He caught a couple and was happy.

When the Whip really came into play was on a club water once we were home. In a two hour session he caught 56 roach to 4oz. One little lad hooked.

I know recommend to fiends who are trying to get their children into the sport to go down this route.

S

si

good article peter i dont know why more anglers who fish carp ponds dont exploit the sport by their feet i aways use a whip to wangle some roach or perch to the net in between carp its great fun

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I used to watch, fascinated, by canal match anglers with a one metre whip, fishing the sunken float method for gudgeon running 14 to the pound. A marble size ball of groundbait followed by the hook closely followed by a tiny gudgeon, like poetry in motion it was. I never ever got the hang of it, far too energetic for me.

I often pole-fished the sunken float (slightly over weighted for the uninitiated) method for roach on the canal and on pools with a degree of success but never ever did I possess a whip. It never appealed to me for some reason, yet another art I never mastered.

Impressive array of pole floats there Peter, funny, never had you down for a pole and whip man, more the barbel, chub and roach type, just goes to show.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Take my word for it Graham, Ive seen Peters tackle room & its more well stocked than Leslies of Luton!!LOL

R

Richard Huggett 1

I always take a 4 metre whip with me...a small box with a couple of floats, packet of 16 hooks, spool of 2lb mono and a few small bits and bobs. It's just right for catching fresh bait when I'm after those big eels.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

These days I do tend to spend most of my time chasing Chub, Roach and Barbel on the Avon, however I did spend most of the 90's match fishing. Hence I do have quite a collection of whips and poles.

David,
I watched Ray Mumford in matches on the Thames at Kingston fishing a bamboo pole with an alloy bent top to which he connected his rigs. Those poles must have weighed a ton! I have a 15 foot whole cane dapping rod and believe me you can only fish with it for avbot 15 minutes at a time.

W

Wolfman Woody

Old money bags! You really are a 'tackle tart' Peter.

I have the one whip of 6 metres. I got it for some perch that were just beyond the normal rod's length on a lake of ours and a friend recommended it. It did the trick with the pain of having to reel in two turns and then over casting.

I haven't used it much these past years, but it's an aging Maver Alborella that I got from Leslie's of Luton (yes, it was good service then for me). Alborella, incidentally, is the Italian name for the bleak.

W

Wolfman Woody

"It did the trick with the pain "

sorry, shouldv'e said "withOUT the pain..."

W

Wolfman Woody

What puzzles me, Peter, is what's it like fishing with a split cane whip?

:eek:) The challenge is still on.

Tony Burgess

Reaction score
My missus has four kids (8 to 15) and I have got them all fishing in the last two years only because of the whip.It made sense to me that to take away the aggro of a reel and just get them catching would "hook" them sooner.Two of them have now gone on to rod and reel but still like to use there whips.
I do use my 4m whip but mainly in the winter on the drains for the roach.A mostenjoyable way of fishing and very underused.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff,
The challenge is still on, all we need to do is to sort out a suitable day. okay?

Graham,
The only problem with an auction is that my wife would not know what to do with the extra room in the house :)
b.t.w. what is the GBF?

J

John Lock

Peter, thanks for the article. I tried my 5m whip for the first time last weekend and caught loads - all small stuff but definitely more than I would have got using more conventional tactics at that particular time and venue.

Also, the name of Ray Mumford has cropped up in this thread a couple of times. He was mentioned in issue 1 of 'Southern Angler'. Bad news I'm afraid. To summarise the SA article - Ray was attacked at his home in 2001. An iron bar was used on him. The attackers then stole, amongst other things, all his fishing tackle and all his fishing trophies/memorabilia. Ray suffered severe brain damage and does not even remember that he ever fished. He is currently in a rest home in Hinckley, Leicestershire. The attackers are still unidentified.