Soft mouth carp, what rig hooks would you advise.

• Thread starter Denis Goulding 2
  • Start date
D

Denis Goulding 2

Hi all.
I have had a lot of trouble as have a lot of memberson a lake i fish with carp throwing hookholds. The fish have very soft mouths.
What hooks and rig system would you advise for keeping a good hook hold on these fish..

Regards,
Denis.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

anything really sharp with regard to a hook and any rig system that lends itself to anti-eject and turns like a bitch. Try the extended line aligner to start with.

Are you prodominantly using bottom baits?

S

Stuart Dennis 2

I feel a healthy debate coming on Frothey regarding heavy and light leads, this could be a really good article piece for you Frothey with many different views, happy to help if you need it mate.

C

Cakey

I would have the tendancy to fish a slacker clutch or back wind quicker (before he starts on me)
after all youre getting the runs so your doing something right.......................

IanD

Reaction score
Definatly got to take a lot of care when playing the fish. Keep the steady pressure on but as the other guys say, adjust your clutch or backwind a little gentler. I would also suggest where possible play the carp with your rod low to the water with a sideways action. This way the carp tend to stay lower in the water until you're ready to net them