Boats: help needed

Joskin

Reaction score
Just sold my old shetland and brought an 18ft cathedral hull Dory with an 115hp outboard. Only thing is I need a new echo sounder for the boat and im not sure what to buy. I will only be using it in fresh water so it wont need to read any great depths.

I would also like to know if anyone knows if the boat and outboard combination will be safe as it sounds like it could be over powered and does around 50mph. (havent taken it out on the water yet.)

W

Wolfman Woody

Get a smaller outboard!!!!!

5-10hp will be more than adequate on British waters. Otherwise just let it run on tickover, don't touch the throttle. heheh!

Joskin

Reaction score
ah but im a boy who likes his toys and im sure I wont be able to stop myself from opening her up.

Seriously though I will be using it on some seriously big Irish Loughs so a little extra speed wont go amiss. Im just worried that it may turn over or rip the back of the boat.

W

Wolfman Woody

I doubt it so long as the transom's strong enough, which it presumably is because the 50's already fitted. A mate of mine has a 16 footer with a Mercury 25 on and he says that's got too much power. I might make him an offer for it since he's only had it out once in the 13 months he's had it.

I saw a 17 foot for sale with a 140hp motor, and the guy said it was great out at sea. Just don't try turning it on a sixpence.

S

si

joskin ive got a 19ft cruiser i use on the trent and i fitted a garmin fishfinder 100 it cost around ?100 and has s*** load of features on it