fake bread

alan

Reaction score
on my last 2 trips ive caught or seen caught some nice mullet(from 2lb(mine)to 5lb(my mates), the problem we are having is that the area is swarming with small fish(about 2 inches long) and as soon as the bread hits the water they are all over it. if i was to use fake bread, would it stop/slow the smaller fish long enough for the bigger ones to get it(seen some just over two foot long, and 10 lbers have been caught there before)

so far they were caught by accident on a size 2 hook and 20lb main line with a 60lb shock leader(they turn up unexpectedly and we gave it a shot to see if they would take it), but im hopingto go back with a 10lb line straight through. would you recomend smaller hooks as well or that i stick with what im using?

B

Big Rik

I'd say that it's got to be worth a go.
The fake bread is good and should leave something on the hook long enough for the big 'uns to get in.

A 10lb mullet is a British record isn't it,
be it thin or thick lipped?

alan

Reaction score
thick lipped mullet.

not sure on the record size as i dont pay attention to them. i heard of some 10lbers from there if they did or not is a differant matter, but the first time we spotted them we saw 3 in a group that were about 2 1/2ft long.

for the sake of ?2 i am going to give it a go.

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Funny - I was going to ask someone about the fish I saw in some estuaries in France (Btittany). I assumed they were mullet, having never seen one before. They were long bodied, seem to have a striping effect (silver with blackish stripes) and quite a square mouth. I would have said a number were near 10lb, if not more.

Can you eat them??

alan

Reaction score
sound like mullet. yes you can eat them, they are a strong tasting fish that go nicely in pies, potato bake and that sort of thing, just remove the black stomach lining when gutting them.

B

Big Rik

eat them?

they feed on sewer outfall and other associated crap and they taste and smell like it too.

Apparently they are good mashed over your roses.

S

Stuart Bullard 3

What about the ones that do not eat in sewage areas?

I must admit it did get me wondering, as there were no Frenchies fishing for them. This in itself is unusual because if there is a fish for a plate available in France, they will be fished for! But no one person fishing for them.....and there were loads of them in the inland ports.

G

Gary Knowles 2

In Spain catfish anglers actually wade into the shit pipes (sewage outlets)to scoop up mullet for bait. Can't see me ever eating one after seeing that.

That said I have just tried fishing for them in Christchurch harbour on waggler gear and landed a beaut of 6.14. That fish looked mint and I can honestly say I have never caught (in British water) anything that has fought as dogged pound for pound.

ps - I think the record is around 13lb

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Belter Gary. They certainly looked very powerful fish when I saw them, very sleek and would shoot off like a rocket when spooked.

alan

Reaction score
FLounder,Mackeral and Bass all gather round sewage pipes and eat it, and most fish will scavagne givern a chance.

The one i caught was from a marina at the entrance to a harbour, no sewage pipe for miles. Once cooked it smelt and tasted like "fish".

After watching a 4lber bend a 12 beach caster loaded with 25lb line in half, i was very impressed with the power of them, as soon as ive got my drop net(today or tommorow)i will be trying a spinning rod and 10lb line for them.