S.A.A.

J

John Hepworth

I took over as Membership Secretary at the SAA AGM, and looking down the current membership list I was very surprised to find very few in my circle of fishing friends/acquaintances who are actually paid up individual members. We need YOUR support.
Anyone wanting to join/re join can get the application off the SAA web site:

www.saauk.org
but the return address will have to be changed.
E-mail me for the address and any other information.When I get the application form put on the laptop I can then e-mail to any that require one
Why not set up a Standing Order payment, then If you are anything like me you wont have to remember to renew your sub's, which I must admit is one of my (very few) failings.

W

Wolfman Woody

Congratulations John.

You should find myself amongst your flock, I was pursuaded to join by the Mad Monk of Middleton. It was either that or a scourging and with the scourging you don't get a magazine every so often.

Steve Hammatt

Reaction score
Good on you for stepping forward, John. I've recently joined myself.

To others on this forum - if you're not currently a member, take a look at the SAA's website and you'll see a lot of good reasons for you to join up.

B

Big Rik

maybe you could address one of the failings of the SAA and that is the lack of self promotion (which you seem to be doing here)

Any press releases/info etc etc would get an airing on FM, they just need to be sent in.

I'll be joining this week (one of my failings for not getting round to it previously) having had my memory jogged by the flyer that was in the packs given out at Stoneys bash.

Matthew Black

Reaction score
The press is out there John but we don't come to you, you have to contact us, something that a number of organisations and charitable trusts don't seem to realise.

Send me form (I like licking stamps and writing out cheques) and I will send you some money ... why, I don't know but I'm that kind of guy!

Why not send me info so I can get some publicity for the SAA in the national magazines I write for? (two of which are part of the largest angling publishing business in Europe - fact)

Any chance of getting rid of David Bird though as he tends to tarnish all he has left behind in the past ... such as the NFA etc. etc.?

Regards and I wish you well in your new position in the SAA.

B

Big Rik

if you're that kind of guy John, then why weren't you covering the Stoneys event?
Maybe you could have used the massive influence you have across the Eurpoean angling publications industry to draw in some more sponsorship and publicity...

T

The Monk

thanks very much, John and everyone, SAA need all the support they can get

Good point on marketing Rik, how would you like to be SAA marketing and publicity manager?

Matthew Black

Reaction score
Big Rik,

I've been told by the boss (Graham Marsden) that I must behave but I'm afraid people such as yourself drive me mad!

Can you not read or are just plain thick?

Look at what I said in my posting.

Alan Stone has NEVER sent me an e-mail, press release, rang me or faxed me.

My e-mail address, phone and fax number is in EVERY issue of DHP's Midland Angler & Southern Angler ... can I be any clearer that that?

I don't do the chasing ... you come to me if you want publicity ... got it?

I am more that happy to promote anything that is good for angling ... just ask the people out there that really know me ... and I don't ask for a fee.

Did you read (Big Rik) the very last piece/article that Peter Stone wrote that was published in Southern Angler last month?

How do think it got there?

I edited it and spoke to him whilst he was in hospital while he wrote it.

Now go away, think about what you said, before you make anymore rash statements.

Now I've got that off my meagre chest, perhaps we can all work together to do the job that is needed to get our sport above water (not meant as a pun), and promote it.

With a web site such as Fishing Magic I am sure good things can be achieved and I am more that willing to help in any small way I can.

You tell me what you want and I'll tell you what little bits and pieces I can do to contribute ... deal?

Big Rik ... I'll buy you a pint when we meet ... as I'm sure we will one day!

Tight lines!

B

Big Rik

I drive you mad do I John?

I drive a lot of people mad, I even drive some people to drink........

and I don't need to resort to calling people thick.

He you are, trying to promote yourself as some kind of champion to the needy causes by being gracious enough to write about their events or clubs etc, but how would people know to send anything to you?
Have you actively asked?
The few of your writings that I have read have been based around matches, how would clubs and associations know to send details to you?

Maybe an idea for one of your future articles.....

and mines a Stella, I don't drink any of that cheap cider..

P

Phil M

I think that must be why a huge amount of anglers don't buy angling papers or magazines.
The angling press seem to have the idea that anglers bring the news to them.
The best era for angling press was in the 70s/80s when there were actually pro active reporting and journalism.
1 million anglers, has any angling publication got 10% of them as readers?

N

Nigel Moors 2

Rik,

Take the stella and pour it over his head if he talks to people like that!

John West

Reaction score
Why do some people have to hurl insults, insulting language or name calling, at others as a first response? Not what I call gentlemanly behaviour at all.

And what about investigative journalism, finding the stories or finding the events that will make the stories? Or do all journalists now expect everything handed on a plate? Surely this event was well published in the national journals or do journalists not read all the journals these days except their own?

P

Phil Hackett 2

"Any chance of getting rid of David Bird though as he tends to tarnish all he has left behind in the past ... such as the NFA etc. etc.?"
Somewhat Scurrilous a statement to resurface with Mr John Wright?

Would you like to expand further on it? I?m sure David would like to hear what you are implying against him in public?

J

jason fisher

And what about investigative journalism, finding the stories or finding the events.
the person in question couldn't find his arse with both hands and a set of written instructions.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Come on boys, let's try and have a debate without it leading up to a scrap behind the bike shed. You know, like grown ups do? Just because one man can't resist hurling insults doesn't mean we all have to. Rise above it I say, and smile as you realise that petty insults are usually hiding a weak argument.

J

John Hepworth

I thank all who have made a positive contribution to this thread, and for their support and encouragement.
I also take on board all the positive comments.
However there is always one who has to bring an innocent comment, where I was at worst having a light-hearted go at those within my immediate fishing circle, down to the school playground level.
I would suggest John/Matthew, your application for membership of SAA would be akin to Kilroy-Silk standing for the Europe Parliament, and given your support of the NAA, would have the same black undertones and ends.(that's if I can use BLACK in such negative terms)
Your offer of a 'sizable donation' to SAA funds under certain conditions John, is so bizarre as to warrant inclusion in the next Harry Potter story book.
Your talents John are wasted, confining them to little known angling publications is a crime.

Matthew Black

Reaction score
Big Rik

"based around matches?"

Midland Angler, Southern Angler, Coarse Fisherman? I don't seem to recall writing much about match fishing.

'Champion & how do people get in touch with me?' I've already stated that my e-mail address, office phone & fax number is in every issue of Midland Angler & Southern Angler.

'Asked?' Do you want my latest telephone bill? I think not.

My sincere apologies for insinuating that you are 'thick' as that was out of order and I will aim to be more polite in future ... Graham.

Phil M

Some of us actually write for other publications that don't centre around angling, appear on television & radio programmes (often without asking for a fee).

What do you contribute to our sport?

I'd love to know, because though I am involved with the media to earn a decent wage, I haven't heard of you ... must have missed something there.

John West

I've got more angling journals stacked up in the spare room upstairs than I can shake a stick at but I don't get the time to read them ... least of all the ones I write for!

Do you start work at 6.00am and finally get some food inside you at 10.00pm & that's sometimes seven days a week?

Anyone knows that angling journalism pays crap and you have to work elsewhere to make a living but we do it because we love our sport ... well, some of us do anyway.

Phil Hackett

Just look at David Bird's track record as history never lies.

You obviously don't know the man as I do, and I promise you, there is no other person on this web site that knows David Bird better than I ... that's a fact and I can prove it!

Jason Fisher

I write for the most successful angling publication business in Europe, plus National daily's & weeklies ... they found me, I didn't find them, so I must be doing something right. I hate jealousy as it turns people green with envy!

Graham Marsden

I didn't start hurling the insults.

Funny that nobody has mentioned the very last article that Peter Stone wrote whilst in hospital & I produced for all to read (no fee) ... wonder why?

John Hepworth

The Leicester Mercury has a twice daily circulation of 154,000. The Melbourne Herald is the ONLY paper that is read in that state.I think the Independant on Sunday sells a few copies too ... hardly 'confined to angling' I don't think!

PS: I am deadly serious in wanting to join the SAA, and if I can in any way, help promote your excellent organisation.

I may have been critical in the past but I have seen some of the good work you do and even a leopard is entitled to change his spots.

Where's the form? Or is it a case of the SAA wanting to remain a secret society open only to people who 'fit in'?

Why have certain well known anglers 'divorced' themselves from the SAA?

Perhaps having an 'angling journalist' on board might be of some benefit ... who knows?

Oh dear, it's all gone quiet over there!

Never mind ... musn't grumble!

J

John Hepworth

When I was young and lived in Wakefield there was a saying 'take it to George Street with a bob' If only Mr Black, if only!

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Good grief. Who is Matthew (or is it John? I am getting confused).

John H - good luck. I may join SAA, but I dont even know what it stands for?

.....and I have never heard of DHP's Midland Angler & Southern Angler.

....and Rik make rash comments. Perish the thought.