A real enquiry..

• Thread starter Richard Huggett 1
  • Start date
R

Richard Huggett 1

Right, having decided on carp fishing this winter, I'd sort of like to buy some slightly bigger reels than my usual Daiwa Regals. I'm reliably informed that 'big pit' reels are beachcasting reels under another name, but the question arises of size. I can buy a pair of Shakespeare Brutus 'big pit/beach' reels for a very competitive price, and they look as they will suit me and my recently depleted wallet. But what size...060 or 070 ?? Any of you carping boys like to assist me with this ??

B

Big Rik

You have to decide on what's justified.
A cheap beach reel is still a cheap reel, the same as a cheap carp reel.
No matter whether it's meant for beach or carp, it's still a cheap reel.

How long do you want it to last and how often will you use it?
Now decide how much you are willing to pay considering the above two questions.

Now that you've found your price bracket, find a suitable reel to fit into it.

R

Richard Huggett 1

I know you are quite correct Rik...I'm selling my pole to raise the cash to put towards the purchase of two new reels.
See....I'm only a poor old sweeper driver.

W

Wolfman Woody

I've always believed inn spending about half as much of the cost of the rod on a reel. Simple rule of thumb, spend ?100 on a rod so spend about (give or take a tenner or so) ?50 on a reel.

I just ordered a Chub Locator Spod rod (on Rik's advice to get a spood rod) and coupled it with a Okuma Beachcaster reel. The rod was ?50 and the reel ?25, perfick.

Mind you, the quality of the cheaper end of reels these days, blows you mind apart. A few years ago I got a DAM Quick reel with an RRP of about ?35. I got it free with Coarse Fisherman Magazine anyway, but it's become one of my favourite reels - beating the Shimanos I have!

J

jason fisher

i've got reels that cost up to 5 times the price of the rod i use em on.

alan robertson

Reaction score
THE TWO REELS THAT I HAVE ON MY ROD ARE THE SAME PRICE AS MY RODS AND THEY ARE WORKING REALLY WELL FOR ME. AND DIDNT COST ALL THAT MUCH I WOULD DEF SAY THAT THE LOWER MARKET REEL IN THIS DAY ARE OF GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY.

GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOU FIND SOME SOON

R

Richard Huggett 1

Well, thank you gentlemen, for all your assistance, it's much appreciated. I'm going to take a sniff at the Okuma Interceptor 65's, they look a good bargain and a sturdy reel as well.
Thanks again,

Rich

J

jason fisher

you should get on fine with one of those richard.

W

Wolfman Woody

Received the Okuma Beachcaster Pro today (24 hour delivery from Tackleshop - great!)

Quality looks absolutely fine. I think Nigel Moors had an Interceptor when I met him last week. Well it was an Okuma anyway.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Bit of an animal, ain't it Cheeky me old love ? Not a bad reel for the money, eh ?

R

Richard Huggett 1

One for Big Rik....how about the Penn Big Pits ? What you reckon on them ?

Finances have improved somewhat, spot of 'business' came up....