Sacking

M

michael rouse

Is sacking a risk to fish.They are banned in my local club but if i catch the biggun then its getting sacked.

Has anyone had any trouble with sacks as in fish dying because i'd just give up fishing if a carp died on me.

B

Big Rik

once again Michael, it's the foolish minority that cause problems for the sensible majority.

Sacking, performed well and sensibly is not a problem.

You catch a fish,
you use a large, effective sack,
you stake it out correctly and in deep shaded water,
you ensure there is good water flow,
you check the fish is upright and is not distressed,
you keep the fish sacked for the minimum length of time,

Unfortunately, some people sack fish badly and for too long, thus clubs/waters implement bans to protect their stocks.

F

Frothey

make sure the sacks secured to the bankstick, and the banksticks secure in the ground......

Joskin

Reaction score
Why do you want to sack a fish?
I am not a Carp fisherman and havent given the subject much thought.

B

Big Rik

Normally just to ready the weighing and camera equipment, but some like to wait until daylight for a good shot, or until a mate gets there to do the photos.

M

michael rouse

If i had a Thirty pound carp at night then i would want the photos to be good.30's in my area are hard to come by so theres no chance that the photos are being done at night.Sure i'd weigh it at night and do a few photos but that magic fish may never come again.

T

The Monk

In some cases if a fish has really fought hard, NOT to sack a fish could be detremental, this gives the fish time to recover before being released

T

The Monk

to sack a fish correctly apart from the security aspects of the net proper, ideally the carp will rest on the bottom (one per sack) in a dark and shaded area, be careful in hot weather though, and in rivers try and make sure the fish is facing upstream, pegging the sack with two banks sticks will help, one at each end, and make sure the sack is large enough and never sack a fish for longer than is neccassary. Its surprising after an hour or so, just how fast a carp will recover after having been sacked

M

MaNick

"They are banned in my local club but if i catch the biggun then its getting sacked."

Carefull though!.. you might find yourself without a lake to fish!....

Joskin

Reaction score
Whats wrong with a Photo taken at night?

I have some very good photos of Babel etc that are night time photos and they are actually some of my favourite ones

M

michael rouse

Good but i'd like some taken during the day also.I'd also take pictures in different areas of the peg im fishing so no one recognises it......i'm just secrative about my tactics......why should i put days on end of effort into a lake and tell people who havnt fished it whats working for me?

B

Big Rik

better for the photo to be taken at night then.

would anybody recognise that black background?

Joskin

Reaction score
will you be changing the shirt that you are wearing too.

I know a guy who actually did that so that he could claim that he had caught 2 different thirties when all he had done was change his shirt and tunt the fish around

M

MaNick

Michael?...

Are you going to grow up into one of those "secret squirrels" that everyone around these parts loves so much!..

(get the reference rik?)

ok, some things are good to be selective about who you tell..., bait, rigs, location in the lake...

But i wouldn't worry about swim location?... surely a half decent fisherman is gonna get "that" fish at some point irrespective of how much information he can glean off of one of your pictures?..

The risk, (however small if done right).... just for that?..

Those pictures should be for YOURSELF.. if you really need that trophy!

Dont ever ask me for advice on the bank!...
(not that your'e likely to be fishing for our southern wackers!) ;-)

M

michael rouse

Southern Whackers......People argue with anglers who go to france and catch big french carp."A french carp dosent count as a PB"...Up here we consider southern fish the same....Us Northeners may not have fish farms full of thirties but we have proper fish.We look at it this way.Southern 30 = Northern 20.Southeners may disagree and argue intensly but you know its true you load of fairies!

M

MaNick

couldn't give a toss mate, i really couldn't care what size fish are caught ANYWHERE!!!!..

I fish for my OWN reasons, FOR MYSELF!!...

and as for us "southern fairies".. I think you should come down and have a look at some of our "fish farms full of thirties" before you make your'e assumptions about our waters...

when youv'e saved up enough money from your paper round!

T

The Monk

I hate to admit it, being a Mank and all, but those southern fairies Michael certainly have some enchanted waters on their doorsteps

Joskin

Reaction score
I didnt realise that the northern monkeys didnt have as big carp as we do here in the south.

Is that realy the case? if so what size do the carp go to up Narf then?

M

MaNick

No Joskin!... they have the 30's...

They just dont know how to catch em!

;-)