Is this the norm???

smufter

Reaction score
My 19 year old daughter enjoys fishing with her old Dad, and fancies her first "all nighter" now that the warmer weather is here.
We have a fishery close to us that allows night fishing, but charge from midnight to midnight. This means that if I want to arrive at 7.00pm on the Saturday and fish until 11.00am on the Sunday I have to pay for two nights fishing each. This adds up to £48.00 for 16 hours.
OK £48.00 won't break the bank, but it seems a little unfair when we've only actually fished for one night.
Is it normal practice to charge from midnight to midnight????
Rob

Frothey

Reaction score
I have similar problems as a lot of places charge, say £10 from dawn till dusk or £18 for the night - as I tend to fish from 6.30pm till 6 am I would pay £18 for less time than the "day" ticket! - I just have a chat with the owner and they are normally pretty accomodating, especially if you become a regular.

smufter

Reaction score
go somewhere else!

I had thought of that but the fishery I am talking about is literally a mile up the road and convenient!
Driving any further where they will allow night fishing will cost me as much in petrol.
It's not the cost that is the "issue". It's the fisheries stance on charging from the hours it does. I was just trying to find out if it was normal practice.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I suspect he has had enough of freeloaders turning up in the late evening and going home early morning without paying. It is after all his business, and no revenue eventually leads to a poor fishery or no fishery.

smufter

Reaction score
I suspect he has had enough of freeloaders turning up in the late evening and going home early morning without paying. It is after all his business, and no revenue eventually leads to a poor fishery or no fishery.

I can understand that.
I fished a lake on Sunday where I am a season ticket holder.
The cost of a days fishing is £7.00.
There were loads of people fishing the two lakes, car park was full. I left the water at 11.30am and didn't see the owner all morning.
Don't know how many people could have nipped off without paying but if the guy can't get to the water by 11.30 on a Sunday morning when his house is literally 300 yards away who's fault is it that in this instance he might be losing revenue? Not condoning nipping off without paying by the way but I can't help thinking he'd only have himself to blame if he was losing out.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Find a good local club.
My club fees are £50/year for a Senior membership and this allows the spouse, and children/grandchildren (under 17 years of age) to fish F.O.C. when accompanied by the member. 24/7 fishing with up to three rods. Unique in the NE and we have members from all areas of the country (£25/year if from outside of the NE) Ideal for anglers traveling up to Scotland as we also have some good sea trout fishing on the R Wear.

Talking of 'all nighters' I was listening to Radio 5 early this morning and some guy, Andy I think, phoned from Tring saying he'd already been there for 5 weeks and was intending spending the whole summer there. Not sure whether you'd call that dedication...or something else :D

Last edited:

smufter

Reaction score
Find a good local club.
My club fees are £50/year for a Senior membership and this allows the spouse, and children/grandchildren (under 17 years of age) to fish F.O.C. when accompanied by the member. 24/7 fishing with up to three rods

I'm a member of our local club but they don't allow night fishing on the two waters that I fish the most.
There is night fishing on one of our waters but it's one part of a larger lake that is open to the general public and I understand there have been issues there in the past with "chavs".....:(:(:(

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Midnight to Midnight seems like a good way for him to make some more money out of those that want to night fish, i mean come on, how many people will turn up at midnight and start setting up to fish ??

If the money isn't an issue, then fair play to you and at least your daughter will get to go Night Fishing.

It sounds like you don't have much of an alternative really, no it isn't the Norm, as i would have thought that Dusk to Dawn or say 9pm to 9am were more regular hours classed as night fishing.