The end of lead

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

The big news in Angling Times this week is the report that lead will be banned from all angling within 2 years.

This legislation will come from the EU.

What makes me concerned is that although angling itself may not be banned in the future, laws like this one and others to follow will make angling more and more difficult for people to partake in.

Legislation bit by bit may eventually kill our sport.

What do you think?

It started in Germany where match angling and the releasing of live fish was banned years ago.

B

Big Rik

saw the article but haven't managed to read it yet,

what's the justification behind a total ban on all lead?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The only bit of justification according to the report is the removal of toxic materials from all sources of water.

M

Mel Crighton

Then before they ban lead they should ban the discharge of sewage into rivers, and clean up other environmental issues first, compared to the amount of other toxins that are discharged lead is very low down the list.

John West

Reaction score
and ban the dumping of nuclear waste into the river system too.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Does that mean no lead anchors as well ?

and does this mean duck hunters will no longer be able to shoot over water ????

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Totally agree with you Mel.

But it suits the authorities to make angling the whipping boy for all ills. And many "anglers" do not help. I had a walk down a stretch of the Rother this afternoon with a friend and saw a load of litter, left by anglers of course!!

Iceman

Reaction score
I know this was mentioned when they banned the sizes of lead with swan problem , but what happened to shotgun cartridges ? it was pointed out that anyone shooting over a river put more lead in the river than anglers. So can anyone say whether anything was done then?

M

Mel Crighton

If you want to talk about toxic waste, The local council is in the process of developing a former gas works and in the process 3metres of top soil is having to be removed before the development can begin in earnest, this is being transported by road to a land fill site 30 miles away, to me that is a case of just burying the problem somewhere else, as i said there are more toxic substances to clean up before lead.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

If you really want to talk about toxic waste, we are all guilty, because we are sitting now, behind a computer.

In the process of the manufacture of microchips, some of the most hideous chemicals are used.

The removal of these awful substances can be done, as long as you all are prepared to pay another 15% or more for computer hardware.

But these days, everyone wants something for nothing!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
What alternitives are thre to lead for th larger size weights. I know for sea fishing rottn bottoms i use filler in a film can weighs a couple of oz. Anybody any tips or suggestions.

S

si

wildfowl shooters use a different type of lead in their shot i dont know what its made from but its non toxic

theres a old hunting thread that explains the type of lead used better than me !

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
No micro shot for the pole boys, no bombs or feeder leads, its gonna be damned difficult thats for sure.

You maybe can get away with stones instead of bombs but what can replace the lead weight on a feeder? The sheer size of lead substitute needed on a 2 1/2oz feeder is going to make it a non starter wouldn't you think?

Perhaps we will all have to learn the art of freelining more thoroughly than we do now or fish closer in using plasticene or tungsten putty. I feel confident using a float on the river but there are many that have never learnt the art and I suppose they will revert to fishing on the lakes. (I can hear Dave Slater cheering from here).

One thing is absolutely certain, fishermen will find a way. They will modify and adapt but they will still catch fish despite the worst efforts of Euro MP's.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The use of stones on still water is no problem. I have used them before today.

In fast rivers it becomes more difficult. Stones are much lower in specific gravity than lead.

We could use gold or platinum. Both are much heavier than lead...... :eek:)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
What about the run-off from lead roofs? Or is that made of some other sort of magic lead that doesn't dissolve in water,not even acid rain?? Are we going to have to rebuild every church and castle in Europe? Let's start with re-flashing the Loire Chateaux - at the owner's expense- and see how long this regulation lasts.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

There are still many water piping systems in England made from lead. In London this is particularly common.

The run off from lead used in roofing is minute. There is insufficient contact with the lead. In piping systems it is different. Water can spend long periods in a static state being in contact with lead.

London drinking water has shown quite high concentrations of lead - up to 200 ppb.

Tis can be removed very effectively with the right grade of filter.

J

jason fisher

ron i quote.

In the process of the manufacture of microchips, some of the most hideous chemicals are used.

yes they are ron but you might also find that industry standards require that any substances which are toxic or potentially harmful are disposed of correctly.

the really bad stuff is returned to the manufacturer for reclamation, partly because most of the really bad stuff ends up with either gold or platinum dissolved in it.

for example substances in common usage in clude HF, sulfuric acid, angry acid (other wise known as fuming nitric), arsenic orthophosphoric acid, thallium, cyanide, boron, fluorocarbons, sulphonated fluorocarbons, phosphine, novalak resin, propylene-glycol-methyl-ether-acetate.

there various effects range from carcinogens, systemic poisons, to things that melt your bones and stop your heart should you be exposed to them.

considering this it's amazing that anyone in the industry remains alive never mind having been in it for 40 odd years.

John West

Reaction score
You all talk as if it's already law.

Write to your MEPs, especially those Green SOBs, and let them know how you feel. Talk about apathy or what? You get precisely what you deserve.