Carp anglers wanted

Grumpy

Reaction score
We need to recruit 6 anglers for two trips beginning Jan 12th to fish back to back venues in the US and Columbia. TOTAL TIME AWAY FROM THE UK WILL BE 8 WEEKS. We will pay all expenses and supply the equipment plus add a salary of ?2000. It's a tough trip and we need people that are genuinely interested in the challenge of catching wild Carp and able to fish as part of a team. Selection will start soon.

M

michael rouse

.........Isnt this every anglers dream.

Whats the catch?

Grumpy

Reaction score
Hardly an anglers dream ......., it's hard work. It is not easy to find experienced anglers that can take time off from their everyday lives for 8 weeks and it's far from being a holiday. You won't be laying around the bivvy all day either, my lads are on the go for 18hrs a day, it will be hot, you'll get eaten alive by mosquito's plus there's loads of snakes and spiders including black widows and brown recluse.
To further dispel the general 'anglers dream' theory you'll be fishing in whatever way we tell you, using methods we need to test and a variety of baits that may or may not work. Our research is thorough and complex and everything is done in a controlled way. On top of all the above and despite being exposed to the elements for many days at a time you are representing the company so you will have to stay clean and tidy and the tackle kept spotless. The senior teams that are also going have a much easier time but as a newcomer you'll get most of the unpromising areas and won't have much freedom to do whatever you want. As time progresses on the trip and if you're contribution is valid you'll be given more freedom and, of course, your knowledge and ideas are valuable but I can assure you it isn't a trip that many would enjoy. To be frank, we are mostly looking for anglers over 35 or 40 as we need experience as much as talent.

Grumpy

Reaction score
Michael,
Sorry got tied up. It does involve some filming and a few lectures, tackle demo's etc but its mainly as research back-up following on from our recent trip to Kerr.
We have been to Columbia before and the Carp there are well worth the trip with commons around the 60lb mark although we've only seen them dead, brought in by local fishermen in their nets. The biggest we've had ourselves has been 43lb but mostly in the high 20's.

Grumpy

Reaction score
More details are available from the admin e-mail address. Have to go, we have 36 new XT10000's to spool up (plus spares) and its as tedius as hell ................... ( Bloody big spool compared to the 8000 and 8010's we have been using ! )

W

Wolfman Woody

Colombia - that's "Romancing The Stone" territory. Riding out mud slides, fighting off drug barons, crocodiles, hacking through jungles. Great fun, but then you spoil it with brown recluse spiders.

I know Theordore Roosevelt lead a party into the Brazilian rainforest to find and map the River of Doubt when he was 54, but I think I'm a bit too old for it Steve. Besides he came back with malaria and a gammy leg. I sounds like a very exciting trip and I can only wish you good luck with it.

J

jason fisher

where are you going to find blokes who can get 2 months off work. i certainly couldn't, the other option is people who don't work, these are either retired, or on benefits, if they're on benefits they can't go because it would knacker em when they got back. good luck finding 6 rons.

Grumpy

Reaction score
Jeff,
Thanks for the interest. It's a lot easier out there when you're on a boat for obvious reasons but this has to be done from the bank, part of the deal. The US part is ok but the Columbian bit can get umm ..... uncomfortable. We won't be going deep into the rainforest though which is just as well as I've recently had a major knee operation and another gammy leg will leave me crawling around with my rod in my teeth and the landing net up my rear end. Interesting for the cameras but difficult in terms of technique.
Jason,
You're right, it isn't easy getting the anglers. It's ok when we are filling full time positions as it's a secure job but taking on extra temporary people is always a problem. I'd love to say there would be a definate job at the end of it and perhaps there will be but I wouldn't want to let anyone down by promising. If we can't get the six we need I'll have to use my full time staff and that will mean delaying other research stuff in the UK which will throw next years program out of sync. Still,......... can't turn the contract down as it's worth too much money and it's not easy getting the spare funds to carry out research. We'll have to keep looking.

R

roto fryer 1

i could have done it but im in thailand for six weeks from january. sounds interesting though

J

jason fisher

p.s. it does sound like a very good trip though, still angling dream stuff.

M

Malcolm Bason

So, what is the research for? Also, you say the contract is worth a lot of money, so who is funding it? If you don't mind me asking?

Grumpy

Reaction score
MALCOLM.
As far as anyone we hire is concerned all you need to know is what the salary is and that whoever we pick will be paid up front 2 weeks before departure. The research is for a client and ourselves.
WARREN
Thanks for the offer but I doubt your're worth it.