which direction

M

MaNick

when carping, do anglers point their tips to the bait, or is it better to have an angle in there....

I used to fish off to one side, and use the rod tip as visual indication, but i read somewhere that it was best to have as few angles in the line from lead to indicator as possible, so i tend point the rods, roughly, at my leads....

what do you guys do?.

B

Big Rik

"but i read somewhere that it was best to have as few angles in the line from lead to indicator as possible"

what were the reasons behind this?

J

jason fisher

it's supposed to minimise friction so the line moves more easily and your hanger works better, thats's the reasoning i heard behind it anyway.

M

MaNick

Ye, i suppose, if you think that each "angle" or change in direction minimises movement on the indicator?

Personally, i had difficulty getting to grips with the concept, although i can see the reasoning if applying it to back leads.

as JASON says,friction, but also presumably, any bend in the rod means there is no line taken?....

F

Frothey

thats why i always fish at an angle with braid, to absorb some of the take.

been giving krystonite a good bash over the last couple of days, and ended up pointing the rod pretty much at the lead.....

takes were ripping line off the baitrunner with braid, with the tip bouncing around like mad - i like the tip absorbing some of that "bounce"

with krystonite (and i guess most mono's) you'd get a few bleeps as the bobbin hit the top, then a pause of a second or so as the stretch was taken up, then they would start pulling line off the baitrunner.

all this thing about seeing the smallest lift/twitch is only relavent if you're going to strike at it...if you're going to wait for a run, it doesnt really matter, does it?

M

MaNick

Thats the thing dave,

After reading on here, i'm going to pay more attention to those single beepers, and funny old knocks we get.... rather than waiting for the run.....

B

Big Rik

minimizing friction to the bobbin....

with a semi-fixed lead?

does it matter ?

T

The Monk

In the old days while freelining it was so simple, you simply pointed the rod at the bait, mind you freelining only worked for fish running away from you. when getting lots of knocks, but no indication on the bleeper, you could try putting the buzzers in front of the rods or alternatively redesign your rig?

Steve Cartwright

Reaction score
Frothey : what is your opinion on Krystonite? heard varying reports about the line,some good some bad!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Not to steel Frothys thunder as he as been trying out krystonite a little longer than me and i am also eager to hear his views.

I have been using the 12Ib for my barbel fishing and so far have not been dissapointed with it. Good knot strength and quiet slim. I also used some 8Ib as a fly with no problems fish taking eagerly.

In my view a good line.

F

Frothey

in a nutshell....

never had a problem sinking it, as some appear to. indeed, it actually twitches the bobbins up as it sinks

havent had a repeat of the mysterious cut-off that i had early on, even when fishing over the back of steep bars.

casts really well

fish dont seem to see it as you get liners (remember them!)

knot strength excellelent providing you use the recommended knots

seems a bit stretchier than i remember mono to be - but then again i'm used to braid

i'll be leaving it on the spare spools for now, and i now tends to always use it for margin fishing. do prefer teh braid for medium/long range though, but then like i said, i'm more used to it

hope it helps

Steve Cartwright

Reaction score
Yep,cheers for that......Just wondered whether the real life lived up to the hype!
Think i will get some and give it a whirl

B

Big Rik

Steve

it worth reading this thread in the Coarse section that also holds some views on it.

here