Tewkesbury

Eddie Hirst

Reaction score
can anyone give us some tips on how to fish for barbel at tewkesbury?
Also, can anyone recommend a stretch for night fishing on a day ticket?
Thanx

John Jones

Reaction score
BAA have some very good barbel stretches just outside Tewkesbury at Uckinhall, Mythe and Ripple. The day tickets must be bought in advance and are ?3. The EA water at Upton is some of the finest water on the river for big barbel.

Fish big baits (pellets, meat, lobworms etc;) mid river with plenty of weight.

The barbel are not proloific round here but they are very big if you contact one so your tackle must be appropriate.
Sorry, cant help you with a night ticket.

Good luck.

S

Shrek

That's now been lifted I think.

Might be worth having a look on their website HERE

hirsty

Reaction score
thanx lads for info but do you know the name of the tackle shop in tewkesbury so i can phone them?

John Jones

Reaction score
It is called Tewkesbury Tackle and is located at

31, Barton Street. (Nr. the Abbey).

Tel: 01684 293234

Tewkesbury AC. have a good day ticket stretch on the Mill Avon. It is not in itself noted for barbel but is a very good all round water with some big chub. Take care though, it is tidal below the mill.

hirsty

Reaction score
Cheers john, while i'm here, any idea what the zander fishings like down there?
I'm meeting a friend there who's coming from cornwall, and neither of us have any knowledge of Tewkesbury.
Are there any places down there which are highly recommended? If we don't go to Tewkesbury, we were also considering the Bristol Avon. Any information from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

John Jones

Reaction score
Hirsty.

They do catch zander around Tewkesbury but it's more noted for the pike. Tewkesbury weir is one of the top pike spots in the country with some very big fish coming out each year. I have seen small zander caught at Upton so there must be bigger specimens there.

As to the Bristol Avon if you want Barbel try the Laycock stretch, it's noted for big barbel. Use strong tackle and big pellets seem to be going well this year. The pegs in the meadow immediately below the road bridge have been producing this year. The river is not big here so a roving approach pays off. Tactics are to bait a swim, leave it alone while you fish another peg then give it a go.

Also Chistian Malford is very good for not only barbel but big chub and all round fishing.

Tickets and great advice are available from Premier Angling in Chippenham, they are very helpful.

All the best
JJ.