cherry tomatoes

Paul Wright 3

Reaction score
yesterday on an overnight session i noticed the blokes on the other side of the lake were having much more luck than us, so in the morning while on the way back to the car i stopped to see how they had done 2 20s and 3 a round the 10lb mark.a good result seeing as we had had 2 runs all night when i asked what he was using he told he tomatoes, now i wouldnt of belived it if i hadnt seen it with my own eyes as he reeled in is margin rod there it was a cherry tom, as anyone else used them or have they had me on

chal9

Reaction score
your a dreamer mate.first you expect everybody to believe you caught a rod and reel and now your catching carp with tomatoes.whats next a marlin on the bridgewater canal.come on.get real

jp

Reaction score
So, the secret is out at last. Mind you, I heard it was baby beetroot.

Paul Wright 3

Reaction score
pi** off chal9 am asking a straight question here,i take it you havent heard of anyone using them then

Paul Wright 3

Reaction score
well jp looking at your picture it looks like you could do with some tomatoes instead of all that spam

R

Ron Troversial Clay

What's wrong with tomatos?

I've caught fish on spuds, turnips and brussel sprouts before today.

W

Wolfman Woody

You leave that Spam of Joh's alone, he's had it open a long time now. Beginning to looke like it as well, is that green on top?

Same with that Pike of Ron's, that's starting to pen and ink a bit too.

Cherry toms? a possibility, but don't tell the bait companies.

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Well, when I first started fishing some 8 years ago, I remember all this debate about how the content of bait was of paramount importance.

Now we see artificial baits working well all over the place, and now cherry toms!!

I have to therefore question the original hypothesis that the quality of feed in baits is that important.

F

Frothey

so fish a tomato on 1 rod, soya/semo/flavour on one, and decent fishmeal on another....see which is the most consistent.

i've seen carp suck in leaves, wouldnt use them as bait though..... a lot (not all) of the fake corn catches come over bags of pellet/method/spod - they are just sucking down the whole lot. over maize/pellet theres no difference using a piece of real or fake - again they're just wolfing down the whole lot. you're catching despite the artificial, not because its artificial.

using flavoured artificals no different to using single pop ups....its the single bit of foam at night thing thats a bit harder to get your head around, unles you're fishing over the top of someone elses bait.

why shouldnt tomatoes work, no different to sweetcorn (if you see what i mean). loads of liquid leak off.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Chal9
You're a dreamer mate.
There's been a school of marlin on the Bridgewater near the Kellogs factory for years. Its just that they are rarely fished for.
Try trolling off the back of a barge - its a bit hard to get through the Sailfish but the Marlin are there alright.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Dear Paul Wright, it could well be the case. I have never heard of any carp caught on them but that doesn?t mean its not real. In my match fishing days I fished a water which had a tree over hanging with berries dropping into it. The bream were scooping them down one after another. Although a cherry tomato doesn't look like a berry, there are some similarities such as fruit content etc and slim skin leaking of natural smells etc. You could be onto something there, give it a try and catch one, then report back on here!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I would present it with a small piece of cheese and a pinch of flake.

S

sash

I don't see why not. The make-up is very similar to other successful baits but I'd have to agree with Frothey's point re the fishmeal and leaves etc. End of the day, if a carp will take a bit of cork suspended in mid water with no attractants around it whatsoever, they'll take anything.

wrighty

Reaction score
cheers for the sensible replies i thought i may of been set up but i know what i saw and next time i think i might give the old cherry toms a go for a few hours