A load of cod's wallop

S

Stewart Branfield

I saw an article in one of the weeklies about someone catching a carp using a cod liver oil capsule on the hook.

Has anyone used cod liver oil as a groundbait additive or hookbait dip? If so, how successful were you?

Cheers Stew

R

Rob Brownfield

I don't see any reason why it would not work. Kevin Maddocks used to use sausage skins filled with liquid flavours....similar thing I guess.

T

Tom Craven

I often put a capsule in a PVA bag with pellets to get a quick leakage into the water before the pellets start to react.
Capsules used include CLO, garlic oil and evening primrose.
Although I haven't tested against a control bag in terms of time to take etc.. I have confidence in the method and it certainly appears not to put the fish off.

R

Richard Dunn

A guy I used to know used to put the capsules in his hookbait's prior to boiling, Once pierced by the baiting needle
they would give a slow leakage. Mind you his catch rate was much better than anyone elses, so i don't
think it made much difference.

S

Stewart Branfield

Thanks for the feedback gents.

Do you think the bottled CLO would work if some was poured into a method mix for instance as an attractant?

P

Philip Inzani

I tried cod liver oil capsules probably something like 10 years ago now after reading an article that suggested using them on a hair along with a bolie for Carp, I actually used it for Chub/Barbel but I cannot say it worked any better than other things although I hardly tried it on loads of occasions. I think its Richworth that do empty capsules that you can inject with any flavour, I thinks they are meant for attaching to their attracter leads but I dont see any reason why these could not be used on the hook you just have to be careful when you price them or you lose all the flavour too quickly.

S

Stewart Branfield

Has anyone used crab paste sandwich spread as an bait additive?