Redmire

G

Glen Howell

I have a weekend at Redmire coming up next month. Has anyone fished it this season? I have watched the videos and read the books/mags but if anyone has some recent experience/advice then I would appreciate it.

T

Terry Comerford

Glen, I have often wondered why we never see any Redmire catch pics in the mags or weeklies.
Is there a ban on publicity?

F

Frothey

nothing big in there anymore :( and a lot of the "history fish" have passed on.

but then you dont fish redmire to "bag up" and go for lumps anyway do you?

take a bottle or two of red and soak up the atmosphere.....maybe cast out.....

T

Terry Comerford

I would have thought Frothey, that a Redmire twenty would be worth a pic.
Whats the biggest its done lately?

G

Glen Howell

As Frothey says, it's about being there...
Apparently there is a mid thirty but I will be happy with any Redmire carp.

Dunno why you don't see any pictures, I have the rules here and video's are banned, but nothing about other pictures.

T

Terry Comerford

Good luck Glen,send a pic in to FM, be unusual to just to see a recent Redmire fish.

G

Glen Howell

The August edition of Capworld had an article by Simon Crow who spent the first week of this season at Redmire. He caught 11 fish, three were twenties. Pictures of most of the fish accompany the arcticle.

If I am lucky enough to catch one then I will send in the pics.

T

The Monk

used to be loads of eels in Redmire Richard, my hero Jack Hilton wrote a bit about them

S

sash

Chris Yates did too, in "Casting..." if I remember rightly. An eel that was wider by a foot on either side of the punt he was sitting in I think.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Chris Yates saw a few monster creatures at Redmire - an eel that he could see on both sides of a punt, a grasssnake over a yard long, and a 70lb+ common carp!!(The King)
He liked a tipple, and I am sure he had a penchant for smoking "alternative" tobaccos! He never admitted it, but he was a hippy record designer in the 60s and his evocotive words and love of tranquility suggest the odd spliff passed his and Hutchy's lips!!!

R

Richard Huggett 1

Funny you should say that...but possibly something more than a common or garden spliff ?
The word 'mushroom' springs to mind ?

Magic...

S

sash

Dunno, Richard Walker apparently told CY about a 1lb gobio he'd seen in Redmire. I reckon it was Stella personally. Bet they had their radios on full blast too.

Carpers eh!

camo

Reaction score
I fished Redmire a few years ago, it's a fantastic place and full of history and nostalgia, just soak up the atmosphere mate and have a great time and it's not too late in the year so you should bag a few, the carp show themselves regularly all I will say if you get a southwesterly wether it's hot or cold the fish in redmire follow a southwest wind due to it being a warm wind possibly no one really knows, they just do, so get down to the shallows, the most productive swims in the cooler months are the willow and in-willow swims, wishing I was going my self now.

Best wishes and Tight Lines Mate.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Look out it you fish the "Evening Pitch".

Be afraid; Be VERY afraid!

G

Glen Howell

Camo, Thanks for the info.
Ron, I'm more worried about the weather than the Evening pitch.....I'm afraid I don't believe in that stuff.

R

Rod MacAskill

I would love to fish Redmire just for the nostalgic feel of when I was young and read about Walker's exploits on the water. However, for me it did lose its mystery a bit when it was netted several years ago and all the inhabitants were seen. Or am I just being old and boring?