To braid or not to braid

B

Bill Cox

That is the question ? I fish mainly small pits or lakes all under three acres in size and i usually fish in the margins .Is there any advantage to me switching my mainlines to braid? At such short range i do not have to contend with excessive stretch and for the most part the waters i fish are pretty snag free.The cost would be major for me but is it worth it ?

F

Frothey

try it on one rod first. if its only close in, get a 100m spool.

cost isnt as bad as it looks, it normally lasts me 2-3seasons, where i could have changed mono 8-10 times over the same time span, so its actually cheaper. especially of bought from the states!

R

Richard Huggett 1

IMHO, I'd go for braid anytime for margin fishing. I tend to use it all the time nowadays for margin work for eels.
I like the lack of stretch, you can hit and hold the eel without allowing it any slack line to get it's tail around anything, and you do get a much better feel for where the fish is at all times.

I know you will all laugh, but I use Penn Tidecutter in 20lb for my mainline...yes, it's blue, but when I fill a spool I run the line over the tip of a black marker pen, that gives a nice 'camo' look to the line and I think it helps to blend in with the surroundings.