Hidden FM members

S

sash

There seem to be a greater number of members that hide their personal details for one reason or another than there used to be. And usually it is those members that ask the strange questions or deliberately post controversial messages. Can we not make it nescassary for at least a name and location to be left if the nicknames continue?

F

Frothey

wouldnt really help, as they'd just put false names and locations in.

Clikfire

Reaction score
May be I was just a bit slow, but I hadn't realised that my details where hidden when I first started to use this forum. That was until someone gave me a comment to the effect that I was an unknown person doing a listing. So I fixed it as I don't have much to hide ;-)
But whats the problem with nicknames! and who bothers to look up where people come from anyway?
Are you a nosey neighbour.

T

The Monk

I go along with Sash here, I dont realy think its fair to use nick names, this is why I never use mine!

S

sash

Guess so. Problem is, you never know if it's a genuine request for help or someone pratting about when a 'strange' question gets asked.

If it is genuine, ignoring it will usually result in the poster dissapearing which isn't what the site needs.

S

sash

It's not a case of seeing where they come from as much as knowing if it's a genuine poster. I've replied to 2 or 3 of late where I'm not convinced they were.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Sash, nothing I'd like better than to see real names used or at least the nickname linking to the real name in their profiles.

I'm always suspicious of totally anonymous posters. Of who they really are and why they feel the need to hide.

It's a weakness or a form of cowardice of one kind or another.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
With one exception - those who are posting from work and need to hide from the boss!

S

sash

Yeah, but you're easy to find out about Monk. You leave enough clues plus you do talk sense from time to time!

F

Frothey

the use of nicknames isnt the problem, it the no details thing.

but if someone really wanted to, nothing to stop them filling that in is there?

Clikfire

Reaction score
Post from work who would do that !!

"yes, sorry boss I will get back to work now"

S

sash

Exactly that Graham. Problem is that some of the (I don't mean to offend anyone here but..) stupid questions are often posted by kids or beginners that don't know any better. In which case I feel obliged to help if I can (as many have done me in the past).

When I started I was lucky to have some good teachers and an avid fascination of reading everything remotely related to fishing certainly helped.

F

Frothey

you think its bad on here sash, go and have a look at carp.com. i go there when i'm feeling down.... :)

F

Frothey

"what rig will catch me a 30"
"the best rod and reel for a 30"
"i've just caught an unknown 40, no pics though" (or was that on here?)

etc

etc

etc

S

sash

I know it's bad on other sites but then why can't this site be different (and better) than the rest? With the odd exception there are no full scale wars on here when compared to some sites and generally the help is forthcoming if the question is asked correctly which is an alien concept on some sites.

S

sash

And that type of question will never stop Frothey as it's bred from the mags.

Now sometimes the person asking can be helped to change their view but it does require more information to do that.

T

The Monk

I talk sense from time to time!

which thread was that then?

as for nick names, BB started me off, hes to blame

seriously most people know me Nick name

funny thing with nick names or Pseudonyms as they are more commonly known. I`ve been using The Monk for about 20 years now and I`ve also written under the Pseudonym of the Enforcer. The reason for the latter was that I live in an area which is surrounded by three anti angling groups, many of who know me because I have had some measure of political involvement with angling and written for a number of local papers on the sport, I have friends who have had problems with these idiots, one had his locks superglued, being a natural coward, I found it wise to hide my Monk identity, because many had worked out who the Monk was (its like MI5 isnt it).

Psychologically, I found writing under the Monk Pseudonym, I could mentally get away with writing utter crap, yet under my Nick name, I tended to attempt the more serious stuff (obviously something went wrong along the way, plus I paid ?100 for my made to measure habbit), so I tend these days to stick to The Monk Pseudonyms

thats my story and I`m sticking to it!

S

sash

OK Monk, we'll stick to the Nick name.

You did start ok re the talking sense on this thread but then......

;o)

Must admit, I haven't seen anything written under The Enforcer. Was it fishing stuff?