Anti-Angler out the woodwork

Blunderer

Reaction score
The debate this morning was the current motion to ban hunting. Someone called in to say something like "Fishing is worse than hunting. The quarry is trapped with a hook and tortured until exhausted".
I wanted to scream at my radio..
"YEAH BUT WE DON'T KILL 'EM!!!!!"

Here we go.......there will be more of these.....

But don't worry, they will never win the support of the majority, or the argument, ever......

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Be careful what you say Blunderer.

Many of us do kill fish. I am an all round angler and have killed many trout and saltwater fish in my life.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Fair enough, Ron. I could have worded that better.
You have killed fish.
And you have eaten them.
This clown probably buys cod in butter sauce every Friday.

W

Wolfman Woody

Ah, but you see, you don't have to kill cod in butter sauce, do you. It comes conveniently pack in little plastic bags so that's alright.

And you can tickle em out of the freezer compartment in Asda, Tesco, Sansburys ......

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Listened to Nick Ross on five live early this morning. He introduced a woman called Georgie who was a representative of the 'West Kent hunt'. I'll leave it to your imagination what he actually said. The woman Georgie said oh! thank you very
much!

This is true by the way, no spoof.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
People go on these radio chat phone ins because they are sad ,lonely, and got nothing better to do, except follow the rest of the herd.
Before anyone says it, no I don't think these crettins give us anything to worry about.

M

magicdog

I agree Baz - who gives a sh*t what 'Sharon in Godalming' thinks about fishing on BBC Radio smallville at 4:30am anyway?

Not me - they are sad tw*ts and should get a decent hobby like fishing.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They are funny and entertaining though mate.
Quite often the radio presenter will say to a person who has phoned in -: The answer to my question is a simple yes or no.
I'ts like trying to get blood out of a stone with some of them.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Today's phone in was largely on the hunting ban, and fishing.
Most people that phoned in began with -: It does'nt bother me either way.
Then went on to spout the biggest load of drivell you have ever heard.
Or, I agree with the last caller. When asked to what point they agreed with the last caller, they couldn't remember.

John Jones

Reaction score
Ive said it before and I'll say it again. Most of the paranoia and hysteria seems to come from anglers themselves.

Politicians are for the most part lying, coniving, toadying little b......s. They are also self serving, and thereby lies our salvation.

They realise that the furore over the hunting ban will be as nothing compared to the amount of unprocessed sewage hitting the fan if ever they tried to ban angling.

As long as we fight our corner whenever some sad old American spinster who's never had a cod in her life ( I did say cod!), comes out of the woodwork and calls for a ban, voting power alone is enough to keep our sport safe for our kids and grandkids. (Anglers, friends, family....ten million votes!)

Politicians would parly with the Devil if it meant keeping their majority, and for this reason alone they will not seriously confront us.

Yes, idiots will snipe at us from time to time but we've got too many valid arguments for them to ever come close to winning.

Just get on and enjoy your fishing.

J

John Hepworth

Couldn't have put it better myself, John.
The only real threat to angling is in the minds of those who are always going on about conspiracies, and the very small minority who should never be let loose with a fishing rod in the first place. Stop banging on about 'the enemy', and do as John suggests, enjoy your fishing.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well put John.
On the fox hunting thread, could it be kept to fox hunting ? NO.

Alf James

Reaction score
I think we're in danger of becoming a little complacent. I also believe angling will not be banned but there's always the danger of unreasonable restrictions being put upon us that could result in fundamental changes to the way in which we persue our sport. I'm thinking about livebaiting, keepnets, high stocking densities in commercial waters and fishing in public places such as parks, towpaths, etc.

Personally, I haven't used a livebait for pike fishing for years but I will argue and defend the right of others to use the method. I believe that any infringement of our existing rights is just a nail in the coffin for angling's long term future.

I don't believe that we should be laughing at those pathetic souls who have nothing better to do than phone into radio stations with anti-angling rants. We need to meet them head on and project a positive image of angling as a worthwhile and interesting pastime with lots of benefits for peeple of all ages, sex and race, otherwise we are increasingly in danger of marginalising ourselves. Our best defence is to get as many people involved in angling and reverse the decline in angling popularity that has taken place during the last 20 years or so.

J

jason fisher

i agree with what you're saying alf.though what any sane and sensible person would be doing posting on a fishing website at 4 in the morning i don't know.

Alf James

Reaction score
Jason, I'd just got back from a long journey from Ireland - fishing holiday - and was just catching up with what's going on. Wasn't tired because I slept most of the way home and left the driving to others.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The phone ins I have been listening to are on Greater Manchester Radio.
Yesterday a chap phoned in to speak up for angling. He was bullied and not allowed to have his fair say by the presenter, who openly admits that in his opinion angling is cruel.

W

Wolfman Woody

Anyone remember Bernadette Devlin from the 1960s and 70s, Northern Ireland?

She was vehemently anti-blood sports amongst other things and as well as being a staunch republican until she met up with someone who went hare coarsing and guess what? She became entrenching in hare coarsing as a result and quite an expert on it.

Perhaps this is a lesson to all of us, but take one anti-angler fishing and show them what is involved. Maybe to a stillwater where a catch is guaranteed otherwise what would it prove just sitting there? Who knows you may even convert someone else to angling.

J

John Hepworth

Bernadette; a very misunderstood young(at the time)lady. At least that's what her mother said`at the time.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Yes, take an anti fishing but don't take 'em to a bloody commercial fishery, Jesus, they will become anti-angling suicide bombers!

J

John Hepworth

Only ever been to one commercial, and that was just to look. It was like visiting the village of the damned, all looked alike, dressed alike, and they all looked like garden gnomes sat by an ornamental pond with a stick in their hand.
If I had stayed there much longer I would have turned into a suicide bomber.