Frothey's Floaters

S

sash

Mmmm,interesting. I have my bait rolled using Essential base mix too and have always bought the paste and made my own cork ball pop-ups as the shop bought ones don't match at all. Have you ever tried making your own using cork dust Dave?

M

michael rouse

MMMM On a Floater note.I got some big carp in a local lake taking Bakers dog biscuits(the big chunky ones).I put loads of mixers in....no takes so i stopped fishing and packed the rod away.Came back a while later with the bakers and they loved them.Just they took three and i bet they make a cracking hookbait.

F

Frothey

was going to sash, but i would think its a bit of a pain mixing dust into the paste. and you dont need to now!
the mix must've been tweeked a bit as they are firm next morning, i've used the same bait for two or three fish (so they obviously didnt mind). like you, never really liked the old style ones.

W

Wolfman Woody

Y'know, when I saw the title of this thread I thought they were talking about one of your dumps, Dave.

Sorry, must be the way my mind works.

W

William Spencer

dynamite's source are made exactly the same way,so,no offence dave but,they're not really new are they?

B

Big Rik

I thought all modern pop-ups were either made with cork dust or silicon (Nash?)

Maybe, it's new to Mike Willmot....

ian brittain

Reaction score
Hi Guys, saw the tread on corkers, Bin useing Dynamite cork pop ups for ages. Only problem is they are too boyant, need loadsa weight to hold em down. Once they are glugged they look the same though.Prefer to roll me own as they say for single hook baits.

W

William Spencer

hey froth,have you tried mainlines polaris pop up mix?i've been rolling my own pop ups for a short while now and it seems to mix really well.i've also been rolling maple 8 and by colouring the pop ups with beer browning the shade of brown i've hit on is not bang on,but,just how good is a carps eyesight?the pop ups are flavoured with maple 8 and i am catching consistently with both the bottom baits and pop ups.

F

Frothey

i think the mainline/nutrabaits/richworth/etc pop-up mixes are all fairly similar. used the richworth for single hookbaits and it works pretty well.
maybe it would be better not to colour them, they'd look like they'd been in the water longer, but then i dont think the carp really notice!

ian brittain

Reaction score
Just some new info on balanceing cork dust pop ups. I found that the source pop ups i was useing very boyant, as frothy says need bb or bigger to balance. Just recieved Tungsten beads and found that 3.3 (medium) balances 14 mm and 3.8 (large) balances 18mm. Much smaller than useing loadsa shot to balance. Also brill for creating spin rig useing normal hooks wiv curved mono extension, instead of bent or long shank nailers.

Derek Clark 3

Reaction score
Im going to try to make my own pop ups /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifbut Im not sure how thick to put the paste on the cork ball, does anyone have a clue or is it trial and error. I want to finish with a pop up around 18 to 20mm and have guessed 12mm cork balls will work this will give me a coating of 3 to 4mm

F

Frothey

depends on the mix but i normally reckon on the cork being about 2-3mm less than the size you are after, though the bigger the bait you can get away with a bit more. just try them in a glass of water first....