Today's Anglers Mail

Blunderer

Reaction score
An article in todays AM about the fish losses in British Waterway's Makin's Fishery summed up everything that is wrong with a large number of commercial fisheries.
Loads of fish deaths, stock being repeatedly netted and moved around the lakes, fish deaths due to keepnet damage and stress etc.
The article is not negative as I guess AM do not want to give too much ammo to the antis but the subtext of it is there for all to see.
I hate these places but took my girlfriend on one earlier this year. It was absolutely shocking. I will never go back.
Dead fish everywhere.
Litter everywhere.
Noddy kids dragging carp up the bank.
Scallies smoking dope.
People swimming(!)
Tackle festooning the trees and snags

etc. etc. etc.

These places are going to give some real ammo to the antis unless they change their attitude. But profit is God.......

J

John Hepworth

Apparently they are suffering losses daily at the Woodlands, Thirsk, commercial waters. Collect them by the barrow load - before its opened in the morning.

G

Gary Knowles 2

I have just come back from a holiday in Hampshire. My father in law wanted a days fishing so I took him to a commercial water. Never again !

Now I know I'm not the biggest fan of carp but I wouldn't mistreat them. The amount of fish dropped, bounced, left on the floor, skull-dragged in and generally abused (not to mention the fact is was so overstocked they hung themselves on any bait you used) left me cold.

Awful, awful abuse in my opinion and I just can't see the appeal.

Some however, obviously can. Despite it being mid-week and raining, every pool was packed.

It beggars belief if you ask me...

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I went to check out a local commercial the other day. I got a list of rules and had a walk round the place. Not one unhooking mat in sight checked rules nothing mentioned.
the rules are

Banned baits - Trout pellets, Bloodworm/joker, Bollie, Cereal baits, Ground bait, Nuts, Floating baits

Allowed Baits - There own Carp pellets, Paste, Corn, Meat, Maggotts, Hemp, Castors, Worms

Other Rules - Barnless Hooks only, Line 5ibs or above, No braid hook lengths, feeders and Bombs free running. all feeders to be blockend, one rod and pole elastics over14's

They restrict what goes into the water. I asume for the carps benifit then allow people to plonk them on the ground. These Carp i am told got to around the 20Ib mark but are mainly around 8Ib

I will stick to the rivers and club waters i think.

Iceman

Reaction score
f you read the Mail bout Makins , What about the fish theiving Russians ,East Europeans and Somalians and what the fishery owner have been told to do ??

See if anyone else has read this and puts the golden advice on.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gary has it right.
Some of these comercials are popular why?
Because they are so heavily over stocked to attract certain types. And matches.
Fish mortalities are inevetible. This is where the E.A. should step in and do fish checks for surface area of the lake to fish actually stocked.

These kinds of fisheries give angling a bad name. If not now, they will do soon.

B

Big Steve

I think that labelling all commercial fisheries as bad is wrong. There are some very poor ones out there, but there are some very good ones. I fish one in NW Leics that is excellent. It is a good size lake that is well stocked. Keepnets are allowed for up to 6 hours. All the fish are in seem to me to be good health ? no signs of fin damage or mouth damage, no ulcerations on the skin. I have never seen a dead fish. The pegs are sensibly spaced out. There is good aquatic growth and fish catches tend to be good. I find it a pleasant days fishing. It has a caf? on site, clean toilets etc. The owner really does look after the site.

Cheers

Big Steve

Blunderer

Reaction score
Bryan
Is the one you are on about in Bolton?
Because that's the one I refer to and I know you are local.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
No near Fleetwood. Sounds like there all the same.

I was taking a friends son he as caught the odd tiddler on the canal. Thought i would get his arm pulled. Almost a guarantee at these places. But I do not want to expose him to that kind of behavior.