Cormorant Management

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Have we won a battle at last? Have we actually succeeded in convincing the Chattering Classes and the 'powers that be' that cormorants need controlling?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Lets hope so Graham.

Actually, to be quite honest, I have noticed fewer cormorants during the past two seasons than before.

Have any of you noticed fewer or more of them lately?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think that the battle is yet won, although this is a significant step in the right direction.

Earlier this year there seemed to be as many as ever on the Avon (on those stretches that I fish) and the numbers on the CAC lakes that I use don't seem to be any different.

Raising the limit to 2-3000 is welcome news, although in real terms this only represents approx 9% of those birds that over-winter in the UK.
My main concern is that the hatching numbers next year may well exceed the new limits resulting in a net increase.

The extension of the season to May 1st is, IMHO, one of the biggest improvements and is very welcome.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think we can safely say it allows fishery managers to use a little more discretion in the management of cormorants......

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Just had a predictable press release from the RSPB which I'll put on site tomorrow.

J

jason fisher

we don't need to read it graham, no doubt their press release will mention disgrace beautiful bird lobying for a change and all the usual crap that they come up with when mentioning this thing.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I suppose they would ban hunting cormorants with hounds wouldn't they ???
Just thinking of a use for all the redundant huntsmen and dogs ..........

W

Wolfman Woody

I bet Terry Mansbridge is dancing. He'd shoot them all given the chance.

Not all ornithologists are pro-cormorant. One I met a few weeks ago would shoot every one, he said.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Why when you see a cormorant its face always has the appearance of laughing at
You?
One thing?s for sure their faces still won?t change to a sad one after this announcement. Not with a 9% reduction. Realistically, it needed to be at 30% for the next 3 years to have a significant impacted on the species, but still maintain a health population.

The bird lobby are laughing all the way to the bank with this %, despite their protestations.

We?ve been shafted by Bradshaw!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Links to the press releases from the RSPB and Martin Salter have been added at the bottom of this press release.

What I found most interesting was the different spin put on the same story by each faction.

It's amazing how you can make the same thing look so different just by leaving out the odd fact.

W

Wolfman Woody

"other cormorants will replace those killed." Quote from the RSPB PR by Mr Avery (shouldn't that be 'Aviary'?

Our response? We'll shoot those as well!

Seriously, it sound fine for the RSPB to say make their nesting sites unattractive to them. On a large lake I managed for the club we had upto 160 birds on average nesting every winter. One island with a silver birch and other trees was devastated by their droppings. It killed the trees (can I hear the arboroculturalists joining us?) completely and the island is now dead, devoid of any vegetation and is white with guano, bird s#1*.

The other day I saw a film about gannets, a lovely bird that keeps to the coastal areas. Apparently they were killed and eaten up in Scotland, they taste of fish and some sort of meat, but mostly fish. I wonder if the Jocks want to buy any of our cormorants. Worth considering ;o)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Seriously, it sound fine for the RSPB to say make their nesting sites unattractive to them"

No problem really Jeff, the result of both barrels of a 12 gauge will make their habitat uncomfortable enough :)

Seriously though, Graham is so right. If you read the two releases it is amazing the difference that a good "spin" will make.

Less seriously Jeff says:
"I wonder if the Jocks want to buy any of our cormorants"

Not those of my acquaintance Jeff, mind you, they would take them off of your hands for free though :)

Adrian Chubb

Reaction score
I have just returned from a weeks cruising / fishing on the Shannon from Carrick down to Portumna, I can honestly say that I saw more cormorants than humans on the river. It was not uncommon to see 3 or 4 flying together (cormorants not humans). Does anyone know if there are any controls in ireland or if the fisheries board are taking any measures to control the numbers. I know it is a vast area, but the sheer numbers along with the Zebra mussel problem must be having an impact.

M

MaNick

Of course, the other thing is, will all the liscenses be taken up?

Will clubs actually apply to shoot cormerenats, or is the rise in numbers just a ruse to apease us?..

My club can shoot TWO per month!...

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And according the Angling Times today, we have won a victory for all anglers against cormorants.

J

John Hepworth

Pity Angling Times were not at the launch when all of the 'A Team' as Anglers Mail refer to them were there for the photo shoot. I just wonder where Mr Jardine was, according to some it all came about through his letter to the Minister.