Which Braid??

john d

Reaction score
Having watched the second Korda video, I'm thinking about switching to a braided mainline to gain better bite indication.
What do you guys use, and should i be looking at floating or sinking braids?

B

Big Rik

before everyone jumps on with their preferred brand, here are some facts about braid.

Floating braids are only good for floating.
Surface fishing for carp or drifting for pike, so count those out.

Neutral density braids can be made to sink.

Sinking braids sink on their own.

To make a sinking braid, they weave kevlar or similar into the strands, this makes it at least twice as thick as a neutral braid.
So if you have to cast any distances, then a sinking braid will hinder this.

Neutral braids take some time to make sink, so you can't just cast it out and clip on the swinger.

You pays your money, etc etc etc.

Me, I use Power Pro, lots of technical reason why, which I'll relate if you're bored...

B

Big Rik

It's the most abrasion resistant braid on the market.
(Anglers Mail Tackle on Test - Ian Welch)

It has a round profile, unlike lots of others.

It is produced without heat, which makes it stronger.

There is virtually no slub on the spools. (flaxy build up left on the line during production).

Once wetted, it's not that difficult to sink.

john d

Reaction score
Thanks Rik, I'll have a look at the Power pro then.
Another silly question, is it necessary to soak spools of braid before loading them onto the reels??

F

Frothey

i do, though some braids are coated and dont take on water (partly why some float) it loads smoother though. dont forget to splash/soak your reel spool before you go for a big cast....

J

jason fisher

dont forget to splash/soak your reel spool before you go for a big cast....

what? never heard of that one before, what's going on here.

F

Frothey

stops it coming off in big loops, goes through the rings smoother.

B

Big Rik

certain things to remember which you should do with all reels, but are especially important when using braid,

after casting, don't just clunk the bail arm over with the handle, this creates a slack loop, which can cause what are misnamed as wind knots.
You should manually put the bail arm over and make sure the braid is flat and tight against the spool before winding in.

As I said, it's what you should do with mono, but braid is less forgiving with slack coils.

Although wetted braid casts alot easier, if it is tight against the spool, then it does cast alright dry, providing you aren't giving it 'the gun'.

C

Cakey

Big Rik got me on power pro a couple of years ago with no probs ,its good stuff

G

Gary Barton

I,ve been looking through the mags and internet sites to see who sells the Power Pro but with no luck.

Where can I buy this.

thanks

Gary

F

Frothey

try This bloke.

american ebayer, i think he has actually got a proper shop. got 1500m 20lb for $98 inc postage