Personalised maps for anglers

M

magicdog

I'm a keen user of the Explorer range of OS maps as the detail is excellent (approx. 2.5" = 1 mile).

The most common problem is the age old 'falling off the edge' syndrome so I was more than a little excited to see this range available. I recently visited Exmouth in Devon for a spot of sea fishing and ordered the appropriate OS Explorer but Exmouth is only just on it and I really needed to buy two.

I wish I had known about this map range back then!

My only comment would be that if (as suggested by the verdict) the folds in the map were tighter, the paper would wear and crack more easily at every fold.
I think they are just right as they are and a little gentle pressure always seems to pack them flat enough.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Interesting hobby map reading mate.
I once got me and the wife out of a bit of bother, by doing a bit of backtracking with a map and compass. She allways says it was me who got us lost in the first place. Never.
I found it interesting to be able to calculate how long it would take to get from A-B, by working out my own walking pace. And I was pretty accurate on distance aswell. So I allways knew where I should be. (within a mile or two) (o

alan

Reaction score
i used to love maps and hiking(to fat now), the best i ever did was on a boys brigade camp one year, i was 17, and group of us was takern on a drive at night(blindfolded as well), and then told you are here we are there see you when you get back,what they forgot was that on all the other hikes the group i was in had set all the speed records, and so our 4 hour hike took 2hours instead. what made it interesting was the map was out of date, and what was a footpath had become a fish farm. so we cheated and took a compass and went across country instead. how i miss those days.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And working out if it was quicker to go around or over a contour.
I first started by doing somthing called get lost safely. The area you choose, you will know off by heart, but you "must" depend on youre compass.
Easy I thought until one day I was on top of Great Gable, when a mist came down.
There were two paths to choose from, The compass told me to go to what I thought was my right. But my mind told me it must be wrong and I should go to the left.
I decided to sit it out and wait for the mist to clear.
The mist cleared, if I had ignored the compas reading, and gone to my left, I would have gone straight over the edge.

M

Mel Crighton

I buy the OS maps to find fisheries or features fascinating what you can gleen from a map.

B

Bill Eborn

Oh this is good and lot quicker than www.streetmap.co.uk. The maps aren't as big though. Mind you if you have the appropriate software and are either
1. really sad
2. have a horrible rainy day in the close season to waste
or
3. are stuck at home ill with only crap on telly,
you can do a right click on each of the squares in a streetmap. The save each picture as a bitmap, open them up in photoshop save them as a tiff or jpeg and enlarge them to whatever size you want and enhance them and then put the map back together in Quark. I think I started doing it once with the bright idea of marking on the map where I catch Chub at different points in the season when I had a cold but I got bored after two hours and watched a western instead.

W

Wolfman Woody

There's also multimap.com

You get arial photos with them on lot of frames.

M

MaNick

hmmmm... and you can even see GRAVEL bars on them old multimap photo's Jeff!

GREAT!... use it all the time!

J

John Hepworth

I have just been given some satellite photographs of my club waters.The chap who sent me them, a club member, works for the local council The City planning department use the satellite for checking on buildings that do not have the appropriate permission. They are very detailed and car registrations can almost be read. Trying desperately to get access to the satellite but as yet he's not playing ball. Far better than the mapping sites that can be accessed
Unfortunately the member could not e-mail the files otherwise I could have passed some on to Graham to show just how detailed they are. The prints I have do not copy very well

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
John,

Do your local council really use satellite technology for tracking buildings that contravene the building and planning regulations?
One has to wonder about the cost of information syndrome that accompanies such a frivilous procedure.

Although, I'd love to see similar photographs of my local rivers :)