Are you

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

How many of you on this web site are all round anglers?

I classify myself as an all round angler because in the course of a year I will fish for all our main species when I get the chance, using a wide variety of methods. I'm also a bit of a traditionalist in that at certain times of the year I will be after the species of fish best suited to those times. A bit like Mr Crabtree I suppose.

For example June and July means tench. August, perhaps bream, or I might have a bash in the sea. September and October - barbel. But I will also start pike fishing in October. January and Febrary and I'm mainly after roach, chub and grayling. The first two weeks of March - probably pike, or if it's mild I may be after barbel again.

April and I am out with fly rod in hand for trout.

I am told that all round anglers are a dying race.

Are you an all-rounder?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nope.
I've done most types of fishing, and enjoyed it. At the moment I'm more than happy with roach,grayling,or chub off the rivers.
stillwaters became to busy for my liking. But everyone to their own.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i try to be , but i haven't been fly fishing for a few years and it's probably been a lot longer since i last went sea fishing(from a boat)i keep meaning to do more of these things but other things and opportunities arise and i modify my plans,i
was going to try and do some fly fishing this year but i shelved that idea when an
opportunity to take up match fishing arose
all be it friendly matches through internet
forum sites i usually fish for different species at different times of the year.and
i see any angler who isn't fixated with one
species and who fishes for different kinds
of fish using a verity of methods and tactics .

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
I like to think so , but as I get older I find that what I used to fit into one fishing year now takes me about 5 years to complete!

M

MaNick

Yes....

I fish for mirror carp AND commons!

seriously, i think i'm HEADING TOWARDS being an all rounder, iv'e still got targets of different styles to try in the future.... i'd like to have a go at casting a fly.... (so i can use it to surface fish for carp!) ;-)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say that, with the exception of Pike fishing, that I am pretty much an all round angler with a schedule a little like yours Ron.
During the close season this year I had a few trips on the Rivers with the fly rods, not as many as I would have liked though.

I don't do any sea fishing these days, unless you count the harbour for Mullet, but that was pretty much a one-off experience.

I have never really got into Pike fishing except for a few years when I was in Norway where the Pike and Zander fishing was really good.

I have had a couple of nights after Carp already this year and may well plan onther in the not too distant future.
At this time of the year I am now lookling forward very much to the Roach, Grayling and a bit of Barbel fishing too. Of course, on the Avon there are the ever present Chub as well to go after, but I am thinking about a concerted Barbel period as well.

All in all we are very lucky still to have such a diverse and different number of species that we can fish for, and long way it stay that way.

F

Fred Bonney

Used to be,doing a bit of everything,but seem to concentrate more on the river,for all species, with a monthly trip with the pub club to holes in the ground

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Without any fear or favour I can say a definate No. I've often considered other branches of the sport but never committed myself to anything other than match fishing and pleasure fishing, but thats not to say I havn't dabbled because I have.

Its my loss I know but thats just me, and if I was truthful I can't really say I hanker after any type of fishing other than the type I do. I get all the pleasure I need from fishing in the manner that I do and to my mind thats what fishing is about, pleasure!

W

Wolfman Woody

What is an all-round angler?

Ron kicked off, but he doesn't go carp fishing with pods and bivvies and spods and stuff. Neither does he go match fishing and he never mentions having a pole. So is he an all-rounder?

I admit to not having a salmon fly rod - pointless down here on the Thames with only 17 salmon running through and I can't afford to fish the Spey and other select rivers. I do go trout fishing, sometimes, but not as often as I'd like. As for coarse fishing, I dabble in everything including spinning and I have TWO (count them - 1, 2) poles and a whip and a bivvy - and a spod rod now!

Don't do sea fishing any longer and have no tackle for it anymore, but I look after Bob's dog for him when he goes sea fishing. Does that count? I'm tempted to get some gear, but 'er indoors would kill me.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff, you old tackle tart you!
TWO Poles? Who'd have thunk that :-0

One of the golden rules for all would-be tackle tarts is never to let the other half actually know how much kit you have, and NEVER store it in one place.

Simply tell her that, "Oh my other kit is round at [insert best mate's name or trusty relation]" then . . . you can buy with impunity and if the wife finds it, all you say is, "Oh that? I just collected that from [insert best mate's name or trusty relation]

I'd have thought you'd have known that one Jeff :)

W

Wolfman Woody

The one I use for new items of tackle is "This? I've had it for ages, just that I don't bring it out a lot.". Or, "Daniel (my son) bought it for me about three years ago as a fathers day/birthday/Christmas present.

I wouldn't trust it around at my place, he'd nick it. He's a copper after all. :eek:)

Despite all my eperience at deception I can see that I have a lot to learn from a cunning, scheming devious, conniving old git like you, Peter. I mean that in a complementary way, except the "old" bit. :eek:)

W

Wolfman Woody

"I wouldn't trust it around at my place,"

should read "I wouldn't trust it around at my MATES place,"

And that's not "MATES" as in condoms.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff,

Another good one is to pay into your local tackle shop a decent amount every week.
Then . . . you take your wife along to collect 'that replacement reel' from the manufacturer that the tackle shop owner sent off for you "simply ages ago"

You do need to be on good terms with your local tackle shop staff, but that one works like a charm.

My second wife actually used to congratulate me on having an old piece of kit serviced rather than "wasting money on a new reel"

You just have to stay one step ahead of
'em Jeff.

And, thanks for the compliment :)

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I used to have a pole Jeff and it got nicked. I enjoyed fishing with my pole very much on a couple of local canals. I mean to buy another one when I can afford it.

I have never been a match angler as such, but I have fished a few contests and won a couple too. Many of the contests I fished were totally unlike the 5 hour pegged down stints we have in England.

And I do possess a bivvy and a rod pod, and buzzers. And I use boilies quite a lot but not for carp.

When I do aquire a new rod I normally tell people I have had a freebie sent for test. Well that's my story anyway.

And a lot of my tackle is second hand.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And by the way, with the exception of ice fishing and double handed salmon fly fishing, (all the salmon I have caught were taken on spinners), I have done every form of angling I think anyone could care to name. From big game angling for marlin in tropical seas to largemouth black bass fishing from a fully rigged bass boat.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I did a little bit in the 60s in Yorkshire on a couple of waters that had them them.

I did lots in a Southern Hemisphere country about 10,000 kms away.

You're trying to catch me out aren't you?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron says:
"When I do aquire a new rod I normally tell people I have had a freebie sent for test"

Nice one Ron, I haven't used that for quite a while.

Now, where is that Barder Catalogue . . . .

Cheers my friend :-0

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jeff says,
I can't afforf to fish the Spey.
No, because youre probably too busy going around taking the ticket money.
You own the bluddie thing.