Starting Out - Kit Advice

Tony Roberts

Reaction score
Hi all, Im considering making the move into specifically targetting carp and would like some advice on kit. I had several years of experience under my belt at general coarse fishing, but this was around 12 years ago, i dont seem to remember carp being this popular back then..perhaps carp fishing has just become more mainstream now?

Anyway, i recently got back into the habit a few months back and got myself a 13/15ft power match rod amongst other things thats good for 6lb main line. I've been fishing my local lfishery since then and although i've had some nice bream and roach, the highlight of my day is when i've hooked into a carp and the ensuing fight. Since then i've found myself more and more targetting them over other species using a waggler and corn or meat, and last saturday i managed to bank my PB 8lb mirror (stop sniggering, everyones got to start somewhere! ;-) ). This fish took a while to get onto the bank and although its good fun patiently playing out the fish on lighter tackle praying it doesnt snap me, i got talking to a guy there who said i really should be using heavier tackle so i dont get snapped and can try to veer them away from the snags etc if required, rather than be at the mercy of the fish and the clutch.

So..im thinking of spending some money and getting some new kit. Ideally id like a couple of rods n reels, a couple of alarms and a rod pod. What i was wondering is wether i could get away with somethign like the masterline wilson barbel rod (about 1.75 tc), which could also double up as a good quiver rod on a river or wether i should really go for 2.5lb tc rods designed for the job.

I dont want a rod that takes the fun out of playing the smaller fish, and it would be good to have something that could be used for other fish/methods, so id be interested to hear your advice. Or wether im wrong and that a 2.5lb TC rod is still fun with a 5lb'er

Cheers Guys! (and gals!)

L

Les Clark

Tony,there`s a lot of thing`s to take into account:are you fishing the one water for carp?
Is it snagy,heavy weed,lots of bar`s?
To what weight do the carp go to?
At the top of the page (carp)go through the old posting`s and you will find this has come up before ,and you will find a lot of good advice,then when you have a better idea come back,and see what you think.

Tony Roberts

Reaction score
currently yes im only regularly fishing the one water, a small commercial with no weeds and not too snaggy, but i wouldnt want to limit myself in my choice of tackle and would look for an all round rod for short to medium range.

Like i say, ive only just got back into it, but i would like to start trying more waters as time progresses, its just that presently im doing well on this particular water and whilst im still getting back into the swing of things im happy for the time being.

I'll take your advice and search around the site some more.

thanks.

Rooster

Reaction score
This doesn't really help but I noticed that Improve Your Course Fishing are testing carp kits next month (November issue). It comes out on October 16th if you can wait that long!

I bought a John Wilson Ideal XL carp rod (2.5lb tc) with an Okuma IBF-40 Interceptor all set up with 12lb line for ?60 at my local tackle shop a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. Caught a 7 and a 14 pounder on it too! The rod and reel feels great to me but it's my first carp gear so I don't know any different.

But I basically went into the shop blind and wished I'd done a bit more research beforehand. Like I said, I'm very pleased with it but I think it's definately worth doing as much research as you can beforehand because at the end of the day you're going to be spending quite a lot of money.

M

michael rouse

Advanced carp fishing like the new Solar alarms!!!!!lol.Something out of star trek I tell ya.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Steve, how much for the lot? I've got a mate who's looking to get into carp fishing?

T

Tarquin Poselthwaite

Frothey said -

"whats the odds on the mags doing a bad review?"

Spot on. I keep meaning to start a thread on this. I had a look at all my old copies of IYCF (7 years worth). When they provide marks and comments very rarely are they critical, and a low mark is 44 out of 50.

Think about it. Thats 88%..........top grade in any other form of marking!!

While they do choose a winner I very much doubt they give a proper reflection of the kits qualities.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Absolute Crap Tarquin(?)

You should believe more what you read!