Pole sections stuck

The Pig

Reaction score
Got two sections of pole stuck really tight.Tried WD40 to loosen them but no joy.Had to drive home with them out the front window of the car.

Really need to get them apart.

Any ideas would be great.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

two people holding both ends, start doing at sort of skipping rope effect with the pole bending it in big circles, difficult to explain but work every time

Iceman

Reaction score
If there wet let them dry out ,it's the suction caused by the moisture ,trick above will work but if you do it wrong they can break.

W

Wolfman Woody

Life's a bitch an then you get your pole stuck.

There is another way with lengths of timber, gaffa tape, and a little courage (not the beer). Tricky, but works. Try the other two first.

The Pig

Reaction score
Sory Warren,dont fancy your one yet.....scares me a bit.

Ice man........its still stuck from Saturday.cheers anyway.

Come in Jeff spill the beans.

T

Terry Comerford

Needs three of you, two to turn the sections, with their hands around the joints.
The other taps gently with a knuckle on the stuck joint.

W

Wolfman Woody

I got two sections apart once by taking two lengths of 1" x 1" timber that are long enough to be taped to one section, travel the entire length of the other secion and beyond, over-hanging by at least the amount of the joint.

Hold the sections vertically. You tape the pieces of wood to either side of the upper section so that when the lower section falls out it still has room to travel. The wood should stand on the floor and the carbon parts suspended about 6-8" off the floor.

Now (avec courage mon brave) smack the lengths of wood on a hard floor and the stuck section should come free and fall the extra few inches to the floor also. You can tape a little cushion, some scrumpled newspaper, to the end of the section to protect the carbon when it hits the floor.

It sometimes needs a few thumps, but the shock and the weight of the stuck section should free them.

If you email me, I'll send you some pictures of the general idea. It worked for me on a pole and on a telescopic landing net handle.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The pig.

The method Warren told you about is the best and most efficient way of getting two stuck sections apart. The only thing I would add to it is, the two people on the ends must NOT try to twist them apart, they just pull. If they do twist then you could break the section...Works better than any other method, whether you fancy it or not.

Alf James

Reaction score
Graham's right about the best way to undo the sections - I've never seen a pole break using Warren's method and I've used it or seen it used dozens of times. I've also never seen it fail.

Perhaps a slightly better description might help - it needs three people, one each on the end of each section pulling very gently. They must not twist the pole. The third person takes the joint in their hand and gently rocks the joint in a slightly circular motion. You are looking for the suction (caused most probably by dampness)to be broken. When the suction is broken the two people pulling the sections apart will be doing it so gently that the sections come apart very slowly. You will often hear a slight crack - this is not the pole breaking but the sound of the suction being broken. As you can see, this is not about brute force but technique.

Incidently, the WD40 has probably added to the problem rather than help solve it. If these two joints have a habit of sticking together then rub a little candle wax on them at the start of each session don't use any other type of oil or grease. That will solve the problem of them sticking.

The Pig

Reaction score
thanx for your advice all.

I have finally done it.

I chose the method from Jeff and it worked a treat.

Cheers ;@)

N

Nigel Moors 2

I think you're right Jason - Jeff's idea sounded like one of Baldrick's cunning plans. Surprised it didn't turn the pole into two pieces of turnip!

J

jason fisher

they always said there's a fine line between genius and some thing else jeff.

no work till wednesday.

W

Wolfman Woody

I didn't dream about you last night, Cakey. I've fallen out with you now.