Oh Dear

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

I do not have a thing against dear old Bob Nudd. But I wonder why his column gives me so much grief.

On page 12 today Bob Nudd gives is 42 tips on how to catch roach. And from what I can see the tips are very sound.

However, here we see dear old Bob, holding in his left hand.......

A Hybrid!!!

Roach/bream as far as I can see.

B

Big Rik

Agreed.

can't go on the colouration as it's a dirty water commercial fish, so it wouldn't be silver and red anyway, but the mouth screams bream.

Where's Richard Lee when you want him?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Ron,
The mouth is distorted by the cutting and pasting into the article layout. Looks like a pasty roach to me. The ventral fin has too few rays for a hybrid and the scale count looks ok for roach though the picture is hardly crystal clear!

I'd say it was a roach.

Wait till you see a pic of the fish I had last weekend from the Thames in next weeks WWA - that will confuse you. I thought I knew what it was until I put it up on the computer.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

No Mark, to me it doesn't look right. The anal fin is too long. That's the first give away and the eye is yellow not orange.

Not only that but the anal, ventral and pectoral fins are the same colour as the dorsal. Even with a pasty roach there should be a hint of red.

But another big give away is the obvious presence of an abdominal keel just ahead of the anal.

Sorry - no roach.

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Martin Bowlers recommended reel for tench- okuma epix pro 30.
Martin pictured using a ...... I didn't know okuma epix pro 30 was a centrepin.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Looks a bit breamy to me .....going by the anal fin

J

John Hepworth

Will have to check it out when I next visit the newsagents. Just to look at, not buy.

S

Stuart Harvey

Don't like the Times anymore, I don't like all the different supplements. You now get the main paper, UK Fishing pullout or something and then UK Carp. It was better when it was just one. I prefer the Mail at the moment. One magazine and its cheaper.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Jeez, Ron you've got eyes like a shithouse rat mate....;o)

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Heyup Barney.

Time for another session on the Tidal innit.

I fished in your swim the other day and had 3 to about 7 lbs.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
What were they, Ron? Hybrids? Still reckon it's a roach. Scale count I made to be 46 which is roach (hybrids around 49-51). Ray count also correct for roach. Keel? only dodgy cutting and pasting. Agree the colours are washed out and poor though down to the lighting.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

No Mark, with great respect to you, it don't look right.

W

Wolfman Woody

I'm shortly going to be getting my copy of Angling Times and I will bet now that whether it's a roach, bream or ice cream cone it won't matter a damn.

I'd like to see what the article says.

W

Wolfman Woody

Seen it, read it. My verdict -

Don't you have something better like housework to do? It a picture of a fish that looks like a roach to me. Granted it's not the best or most detailed picture and I wouldn't be able to hold hand on heart and say that it definitely was a roach. But does it matter?

On the opposite page there's another picture to which the caption says something about finding spot where the public feed ducks and swans. Yet the picture is filled with gulls. Oh dear Bob, didn't you know the difference between a gull and a duck-duck?

Get a life and leave the man alone!

G

Gary Knowles 2

Ron,

Yeah, I fancy another trip, let me know when conditions suit and we'll arrange something.

ps - you can have that swim - it's full of bream !

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And my mate Matt Brown caught 6 of 'em the other day, in your swim.

Mid October should be great. When I get back from catching my 30 in the fens. . :eek:)