A Question of Bait

moley

Reaction score
as i only started my carp fishing in march i haven't had any experiance with winter fishing for the species, well, if you call the good old british summer warm that is, so through the summer i've been using quality baits padshull park to a good success rate, but i recently had a conversation with another angler on the bank about baits, and he said it was about time to change to a winter bait, bird seed based, is this the norm, or have i just had my dangly bits pulled ?

F

Frothey

back in the "old style" fishmeal days people had a summer fishmeal bait, and a winter milk protein/birdfood bait.

broadly speaking these days with the type of soluble ingredients available, the baits are more digestable so you dont need to totally change - just lower the fish oil content(if you've got any in it). some companies do "winterised" versions (like activ8/winter8). if you're catching well, just ask quality baits what they would do to "tweak" it.

C

Cakey

If its really really cold I leave the Club mix at home and change to Green beast and the Cold Water mix ..........

B

Big Rik

most 'winterised' versions, just change the fish oil to salmon oil and drop in a handful of robin red.

As Floppy already said, most baits nowadays have milks, birdfoods and low temp fishmeals in them anyway.

B

Big Rik

and I thought I was a turn on for all.....

there's me in my Realtree thong and camo handcuffs, waiting...

always waiting....

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Your on you own now down in 'the valley'!