Baiting Back Fired

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Last night I took the dogs with me while I pre baited a swim for fishing this morning.
Walking round checking permits there was just one person on the lake, Tench are the target.

I had been in a swim that I had raked the other week, so I baited this swim ready for a few hours fishing this morning. Only one person on the lake, I thought I won't need to to bait another.

WRONG.

Got there this moring and a guy was just casting for the first time, in the swim I had baited.

Tench rolling over the baited area, fizzing bubbles ( not jackos monkey), I couldn't let the baited area and work go to waste.

I told the guy where i had baited, he cast his second rod into the baited area, result, first cast a 7lb 14oz tench. I went to another swim.
I left at 10am having blanked, he had had 3 Tench by then over 7lb.
Thats fishing, you ever had the same thing happen.

Two swims baited next time.

Morespiders

Reaction score
I cant help but laugh Clarke, ha-ha, never mind, they were only small ones, not worth getting the net in a mess for:D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
hahaha, my Bassett would lick them to death, the Springer would just sit and wag his tail.

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

I cant help but laugh Clarke, ha-ha, never mind, they were only small ones, not worth getting the net in a mess for:D

I checked the guy looked at the scales and not his watch, like some i know. At that time in the morning and on your watch, it would have been 43lb 3ozs...............:D

Morespiders

Reaction score
At that time in the morning my watch would have read what his scales did, like i said, small ones Clarke

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
This happened to me so many years running on the glorious 16th. that I started to think I was being followed!

So now I don't pre-bait for the 16th.

Which might explain why I do so badly every June.

Sort of Catch 22 really:mad:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Lets see if anybody has any moral integrity on here.

If you'd been the bloke sitting on Ray's pre-baited swim would you have given it up ?

I would...and not just because I know Ray.I think its the proper thing to do.

---------- Post added at 06:57 ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 ----------

I have Cakey and Spiders down as definate "not bloody likelys".

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think you were very controlled under the circumstances BUT I have to say that if someone told me they had prebaited a swim I(without doubt!)would have vacated immediately...Yes, I know we all take a chance in doing so but I would not be happy catching fish under such circumstances-7lb+ or otherwise!!

I remember arriving at a swim on a pit in Marlow many moons ago some 6 hours prior to the kick off on the 16th and setting up.Two hours to go and a guy turned up,saw me in'his'swim,almost dropped to his knees in horror and then raised his head to the heavens to mutter much anglo saxon for some seconds.
He approached,literally with tears in his eyes to explain his 6 week long prebaiting programme(with stewed wheat?).....I relented and moved to another swim to catch six good tench(4lbs was big in those days!)and he blanked-not arun for 12 hours.....funny old world innit???

Always next week Ray.....and who need 7lb fish anyway-small pertaters for you I would have thought!!!(?)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Perhaps if you had put card on a stick saying it was prebaited the guy might just have had a concience and not fished it! We used to do that in Ireland and it was generally accepted that you didn't fish that swim if it had a prebaited sign on it, there are still some honest people in this world, not a lot - but some.

At least if you had found him fishing your swim Ray you would have a ready made excuse to give him a few gentle taps with a bank stick :wh

Last edited:

Stick_Float

Reaction score
Lets see if anybody has any moral integrity on here.

If you'd been the bloke sitting on Ray's pre-baited swim would you have given it up ?

I would...and not just because I know Ray.I think its the proper thing to do.

---------- Post added at 06:57 ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 ----------

I have Cakey and Spiders down as definate "not bloody likelys".

I'd definitely offer to vacate the swim if asked but I'd definitely refuse to ask someone to move for me, It doesn't seem right to me.

It happened to me the other day, baiting up a few swims on a lightly fished section of the Colne when 2 guys turned up and plonked themselves in 2 baited swims. It's fair game as far as I'm concerned, and bait up swims in the knowledge they may be taken.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Ummm. I think I might have offered to share the swim with you because, not knowing you, I'm not sure I would have given it up just on the say-so of someone who 'claimed' to have baited it.

Nathan

Reaction score
Had the same happen to me when baiting a section of local canal. I was a bit miffed but just kept on going not wanting them to know i'd be baiting the area. They blanked & moved on. On my way home I put some more bait in & returned the next day to catch a mint looking 21lb common. Result :)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I wouldn't dream of asking someone to move, just because I had baited the swim. I took a chance, the guy got there first, fair play to him.

I didn't want to see the work go to waste, thats why i showed him the spot to fish, plus it showed me the baiting had work, good old home made partical mix.

Fished Ireland and as Graham says, a swim with a sign saying prebaited got left alone, but it's not common practise here is it.

I would move myself if it had been the other way round, but I got the satisfaction, ( not the rolling stones kind) seeing some good fish, and knowing in a way I helped him.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
And you get a Skippy's Gold "Proper Angler" Award as a result,mate.

Now then...my next question to test your morals. If you had been Ray in that situation would you have been so decent as to mention you'd baited the swim & where to fish ?

Well...would you...honestly ?

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

Stick float : I agree...I wouldn't actually ask them to move but I would mention it and see what the reaction was. If there wasn't one I'd walk away.

slime monster

Reaction score
I have arrived at weedy venues where it was patently obvious that a swim had been raked quite recently , a quick root in the still wet weed on the bank revealed shrimps etc still alive..I left it well alone and was thanked for doing so. as for an angler turning up claiming to have prebaited the swim ,. if he was there first thing and I had just beaten him to it he would be welcome to it but if the guy turned up later and I was hauling ...that could be a different story.