What to do??

J

John Pickering 1

Ok im prety new to carping and this time of year probably isn't the best time to go for a night fish but o well!! Basicly i just want to know about carp's behaviour at this time of year. Where are they in the water, what baits are they going for etc. Also what the best rig going at the moment. And finally, what the best carp pool in the Stafford area at the moment. Thankyou

John

F

Frothey

arguably the best time of year, fish are starting to munch, they are in great condition and theres less anglers on the bank. real winter fishing doesnt really start till mid nov/dec so just do as you'd do in the summer.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Not wanting to patronise you, John, but to say "what is the best rig going" shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the basics! Presumably you have done lots of pleasure fishing, and realised that you change your presentation to suit the conditions, the water, the bait etc. It is the same with rigs. It depends on your water and what you are trying to do.
A popup on a silty bottom requires a totally different presentation to a bottom bait on a hard bottom, for example.
Keep it as simple as you can and don't start copying all the latest rigs in the magazines. Think about your water, when you have found one and go down for an evening and ask questions of the other anglers. Or even post on here to see if anyone can help!!
Sorry, don't know the Stafford area but choose an Easy water, maybe even a commercial fishery. You need to get runs to build up your experience and confidence.
Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Steve Cartwright

Reaction score
The best advice i could give is to get out there and learn! we all had to do it.
That involves fishing a chosen water and watching what works,i was lucky that many years ago i bumped into a bloke who fished the swim i though i was in,i sat and chatted with him for hours about the lake and the stock...he showed me rigs,he showed me presentation,i learned in 1 hour what would have took years on that particular water,my next trip out first twenty....
Im going back 15 years now,never be afraid to ask,you will know who to listen to!!

T

Terry Comerford

John, I started on a couple of 'easier' commercial type venues, getting tackle sorted, learning techniques, reading articles on here and in magazines, books, and just lately videos.

Not monster fish, 5lb, 10lb, 12lb, with loads of 2/3/4lb fish in between, but I'm sorted now, got all the basics and I'm traveling further afield to better venues, PB is a fantastic (to me) 23lb.

I'm actually enjoying the carp learning curve, take your time to learn the basics properly, don't run before you can stalk!

Venues in the Stafford area that I would recommend for 'learners' like us, would be,
Izaak Walton Fishery, Chebsey, Stafford.
The Willows Pools, Penkridge, Stafford.
Pillation Fisheries, Penkridge, Stafford.
Fisherwick Lakes, Tamworth, Staffordshire.
Hampstall Ridware, Rugeley, Staffordshire
Catton Park, Alrewas, Staffordshire.

N

Neil Laing

I agree with Terry that with an easy water you learn more as a beginner. Thats what I am starting to do as I have been fishing a venue which has slowed down a lot since June.
I will be trying a different club water which has a higher density of fish. I hope I will see the results of experimentation quicker this way.
Neil

C

Cakey

Been carp fihing for years and years ,had carp to over 40lbs and I am still learning.............

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Sorry, on second thoughts that may sound a bit flippant but seems to be best idea for short sessions

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Thats an interesting question Matthew, but really depends on the venue. By logging my catches I am led to believe that the majority of my fish have come between 6pm and 1am and then 4am until 8am. I have had fish inbetween these times but for me the majority of my fish have come within these time frames unless of course I am surface fishing as where I catch them througthout the day once I've got them feeding.

The above of course is only a guide based on my own findings, however each venue will be different.

F

Frothey

i errr, how am i going to put this, ummm, oh god i've got to say it......agree stu!

S

sash

There's one water I fish where the going time is midnight through 'til 3.30/4am. But when I've compared my catches with a mate the majority of his have come from 7am-11am????? Type/size of carp, swim fished, style, bait, pressure - all things that could have an impact. I guess each water differs Mathew and it pays not to listen to the accepted views of people fishing your water (the majority of which probably only base their views on others anyway). Be different.

Matthew Varley

Reaction score
thnks lads. I still ave one more question is it true that carp, in the colder months go around in the deepest part of the lake?

B

Big Rik

sometimes, yes.

Sometimes they are in the shallows, when it's sunny.

Sometimes they are in midwater when the air pressure means that is the most comforatble place for them.

How deep your lake is, depends on what depth the fish will be at.

Matthew, there are no rules when carp fishing, apart from one........

C

Cheeky Monkey too

The GOLDEN RULE

The golden rule states that there are no golden rules.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing carp love more than a bit of sunbathing.