The ACA - how does it run?

W

Wolfman Woody

I have just posted in another thread and it got me thinking. What is the foundation of the ACA.

It's not a limited company under that name and yet it has a "director" - Jane James. There's no "secretary" quoted which a limited company would have to appoint. So it must be a members society.

That being the case are all we who are members really members? If so, where is the AGM held where WE the members can elect our representatives?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the running of the ACA. In fact I encourage as many anglers to join as possible. You can do so here

I just wonder how such positions as President (Chris Tarrant), Vice - P (John Bailey and others), Chairman (Dr. Stephen Marsh-Smith) and others are filled. Who voted for them?

As you can guess though there is one mentioned who I would like to see the back of. The good Doctor and Chris are safe, by the way.

N

Nigel Moors 2

No idea Jeff - have never wondered about it in my ignorance as it's always seemed to have a really good press.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Jeff I think it?s a Trust Limited by Guarantee. I do know it has a what?s called a Council. This I presume is a Board or Management Committee.

Under Charities Commission rules it must publish accounts and hold an AGM.
Where and when these are done is somewhat vague , I can?t remember either being advertised in the News Mag. though!

W

Wolfman Woody

Well, it can't be a charity, Phil, because it would have to state so on it's letterheads and other documents and I can't find any mention of it.

I would have thought the same applied to a trust. I'll look into the rules on trusts, but I would have thought it would be mentioned somewhere.

I'm not trying to malign it's good name, please understand, but I would like to stop that "someone else" from damaging it's independant position. It has to stick to fighting polution and it's officers should not be seen alienating sections of the anglign community. It's the best ammunition we have to fire when the chips fall down as it's the only organisation we have that will fight the polluters.

It's just that I like to see organisations have an open book and be more accountable, especially where we are classed as "members".

W

Wolfman Woody

It's a thought Graham, but I don't want to appear to be a s*** stirrer, if you see. I would rather know something first if possible and then go in guns blazing, so to speak.

I've met Bob James on several occasions and Jane a couple of times, not that they would remember an insignificant sort such as I (well I wouldn't want to if I were them). Anyway, forearmed is forewarned as they say.

J

jason fisher

i've met you before jeff and i remember you regularly, usually in the early hours while i'm having nightmares.

as for positions they're probably offered out by bob as they all seem to be filled by his mates, which is worrying, then again they do do some very good work as you say.
as long as they continue to do this good work and stay with the remit they are currently pursuing i don't see a problem, but should things develop it into a division of the barble police then i think popular support for their cause would disappear rapidly.

W

Wolfman Woody

Oh, I met Big Des a couple of times when he was working for DAM. Mostly at Exhibitions in the early 90s.

W

Wolfman Woody

Agh you mean Bob James being pally with Big Des. I think he is.

T

The Monk

My understanding is that the ACA is a cooperative. A cooperative is an organization that is owned and controlled by the people who use its products, supplies or services. Although cooperatives vary in type and membership size, all were formed to meet the specific objectives of members, and are structured to adapt to member's changing needs. Self-reliance and self-help are the hallmarks of cooperatives.

Although cooperation, that is, people working together for their mutual benefit, has been practiced throughout human history, the cooperative as a form of business organization began during the Industrial Revolution. Cooperatives were useful for promoting the interests of the less powerful members of society. Farmers, producers, workers, and consumers found that they could accomplish more collectively than they could individually.

Hence the ACA is a cooperation amonst anglers who act as guardians of the freshwater environment

W

Wolfman Woody

That may well be Monk (and I'll bet you still shop at Toad lane branch of the Rochdale Pioneers Coop!), but in law the business has to be one of a few types.

It can be a limited company or Plc if it has over 50 shareholders etc. or it can be a charity as has already been stated. If it is a society of friends (like most fishing clubs) then it belongs to its members and as such (same with a charity) it should hold AGMs to which its members are invited. If you want to find out things, you can be invited to most of your local coops AGMs.

Perhaps I should write to Prince Philip, see if he knows. He's the patron. Is he an FM member, do we know?

H

H.R.H.

Dear Mr. Woodhouse

My wife and I do, on ocassion, log onto FM as we are both keen anglers don't you know.

However, as patron, I really am at a loss how these things are set up, as one has so many of these titles, don't you know.

On the next ocassion of that nice Mr. Clay coming to one of the wife's Garden Party's one will endevour to find the answers which you seek.

Have a nice day.

H.R.H.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Jeff - ring 'em. It may all be blatantly obvious should you speak to them.