Black Prince/Black Knight?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

I recall my first fixed spool reel - it was called either the Black Prince or Black Knight.

I do remember the excitement as it was ordered, after my dad had smoked many John Player cigs and I had counted out the coupons many times over as the required amount got closer.

Finally after much waiting the reel arrive and with great anticipation I loaded the spool with line and took it Saturday morning to break it's duck with a fish or two.

Now maybe it was the fact I'd never used a fixed spool reel before, or that I'd put the line on incorrectly but after a few casts I had a proper birds nest on the reel. Half an hour alter I was back fishing only to have the same thing happen.

A couple of more fishing trips with the same result saw the reel left in the fishing basket (yes I had a big wicker fishing basket) and me back using a centre pin.

A few years later, after I'd forsaken fishing for other pursuits, cleaning out my dad's shed I found the fishing basket and my old fixed spool reel, battered at the bottom and binned it.

Did anyone else own one of these reels? I seem to recall they were made of a black plastic and sounded like some one hand cranking on old aeroplane when you turned the handle.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
It must have been my ability (or lack of) but I was the only person with a fixed spool reel at the time and I recall the line unsppoling after most casts maybe I'd put too much line o nthe spool in the first place

Reaction score
I had a 6ft glass pier rod for most of my initial fishing. 4 piece, green with brass ferrules.

I was 11 when my dad bought me an 11ft ledger rod - orange glass, brass ferrules.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Yes, I had one of those reels too (although my first Intrepid was an "Envoy"). There was a reel called the Black Knight, but that was an Allcocks centrepin (they also did a Silver Knight).
Photos of Fred J Taylor often showed him using an Intrepid Elite, but even this "top of the range" model was decidedly clunky compared to even the cheapest Mitchell.

Steve King

Reaction score
I started off with an Intrepid Tru-Spin, I graduated to a Black Prince after the bale arm of the Tru-Spin had a nice groove worn in it!! My last Intrepid was the Elite.

The Intrepid fixed spool reels were not that well made - I think they all had die cast gears except the Elite which had a nylon gear and was slightly less clunky than the others.

As soon as I could afford it I bought a Mitchell 410 and then an Abu 44X (nice reel apart from the rotor being out of balance.)

Last edited:

andy nellist

Reaction score
My first fixed spool was an Intrepid Black Prince with its solid metal bail.

My younger brother later had an Intrepid Boyo which looked the same but was blue rather than black

I moved on to an Intrepid Prince Regent which fell apart whilst I was palying a Pike of about 10lb.

Then migrated to Mitchells: 324 which was quite good followed by several 206's which were pretty rubbish and tended to wear out after a year or two.

Eventually moved up market to a Mitchell 810 which was like a 300 but with a 6:1 gear ratio. Like most reels of that era it didn't fare well after being used for a spot of sea fishing whilst on holiday.

From there to ABU Cardinal 54's which were my first really good reels

They were replaced by Shimano Baitrunner 5000's for heavy stuff and Shimano X Match 3000's for light to medium work. Both great in their time.

Now use Shimano XTE 10000's for heavy stuff and Diawa Airity 2508's for light to medium work. They are both great reels.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I never liked the cheap look of the Intrepids - great design but poor quality. My first two reels were very cheap late 60s Daiwa that soon wore out but my first Mitchell (320? the cheapest one) never did wear out or let me down. After that it was ABU 505/6 and Mitchell Matches all the way. Added to with Shimanos though like the look of the better Daiwas nowadays.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
It seems many of us are around the same age with either the Black Prince or another Intrepid as their first fixed spool reel - happy day, 1/2 a pint of maggots as the big expensive bait, worms dug from gardens, bread nicked from the kitchen, push bikes for transport (if we were lucky), small boys in short trousers, jumpers for goalpost

We were poor but happy, we were happy cos we were poor

Steve King

Reaction score
It seems many of us are around the same age with either the Black Prince or another Intrepid as their first fixed spool reel - happy day, 1/2 a pint of maggots as the big expensive bait, worms dug from gardens, bread nicked from the kitchen, push bikes for transport (if we were lucky), small boys in short trousers, jumpers for goalpost

We were poor but happy, we were happy cos we were poor

True your Lordship but they were still cr@p reels!! Bluddy kids nowadays starting out with Shimano and Diawa!!!

I had Intrepid reel fall apart on me too - just cr@p diecasting and bad design.

Nowadays I use mainly Shimano and Abu.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I too had an Intrepid Black Prince although the first reel I ever owned was a small aluminium centre pin (pressed not turned) I last I remember seeing that c/p in the drawer of my old grandads sideboard just before he died in 1972.

I can remember buying some French gun metal grey reel with a half Bail arm whilst celebrating my 21st (for two weeks) on the Isle of Man in 1964, my mates parents had a cottage in Laxey. From what I could remember :w of those two weeks it was the best holiday ever. Two weeks (day & night) on Guinness doesn't make for a good memory.

Stirring the memory now; I remember the whole two week binge was financed by me building a high wattage amp, (for then a 10w) speaker enclosure and record deck for my dads mates pub in Pudsey.

Last edited: