Tying Spade End Hooks by Hand

Reaction score
Ever since I was a kid I have been able to tie my own spade end hooks by hand.

I did originally have one of those black plastic hook tiers with the knob on it. However, I wasn't happy with the kinks it put in the line near the hook so I binned it.

I worked out how to reproduce the knot by hand and have never needed a hook tier again. It saves a small fortune on buying ready tied and I can make em up as I need them.

A few times a year my dad turns up with hooks line and packets (those little greaseproof paper things) and gets me to tie him a load.

I can still tie a size 26 spade end.

How do you tie spade end hooks?

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
Ever since I was a kid I have been able to tie my own spade end hooks by hand.

I did originally have one of those black plastic hook tiers with the knob on it. However, I wasn't happy with the kinks it put in the line near the hook so I binned it.

I worked out how to reproduce the knot by hand and have never needed a hook tier again. It saves a small fortune on buying ready tied and I can make em up as I need them.

A few times a year my dad turns up with hooks line and packets (those little greaseproof paper things) and gets me to tie him a load.

I can still tie a size 26 spade end.

How do you tie spade end hooks? [/QUOTE]

I thought you said you knew how to tie them ...........

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I do. I just wondered whether others tied by hand, hook tier thing or ready tied.

I would have thought one of the monkey did it for you your lordship

The monkeys have not been the same since your last visit to the Hall - showing them that trick of yours with the empty toilet roll holder and a turd

Reaction score
Yes, that was a bit of a mistake, I should have stuck to the card tricks.

Talking of turds, I went to the opticians recently and took a turd in a shoe box to show them.

I opened the box on the counter to show then my anal sculpture, but they weren't too impressed. In fact, to my surprise, they were quite disgusted and wanted to know why I had brought a turd to the opticians.

I explained, "Well, every time I do one that big it makes my eyes water!"

The doctor, dentist, chiropodist and plumber weren't to impressed either.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I don't.

It is a well known fact that it is not possible to tie a spade end hook knot without a minimum of five hands or some kind of gadget.

Unfortunately this 'gadget' is only available to the manufacturers that sell pre-tied hooklengths; the ones in the shops (like your one with a knob on it) are designed to do a cr*p job - thereby forcing you to buy pre-tied ones instead.

Also, I do not possess five hands - which makes a manually tied knot beyond most human's capabilities.

I lost three fish the first year I went to Clattercote after using a cr*ppy black hooktier - they all parted company with me due to the knot.

I have never used spade end hooks since.

Reaction score
Here's the best explanation of the knot I use.

Spade end knot

I only used spades for small hooks for small fish such as roach etc.

I couple of years ago I lost a barbel to a drennan spade end chub hook on the trent - never used them since.

Steve King

Reaction score
Being possessed of large hands and fingers like thick pork sausages I have never been able to tie spade ends by hand!

I can however tie the knotless knot in the dark!

On the rare occasions I need to tie a spade end I use the Matchman hooktyer (preferably at home so I can see what I'm doing in decent light!!)

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
The first one you linked to, on the second step am supposed to be wrapping it around one legth of line against the shank or two?

In other words, does the tag end loop up the shank from the bend and then back down again before the wrapping commences or do you just start wrapping it straight from the bend up to the eye?

Reaction score
Peel off a length of line from a spool and then trap the spool between your knees.
Make the loop against the shank.
Grip the bend and loop in your left hand (finger tips).
Wrap the tag end around the shank, away from the bend (and around the line coming from the spool) - keep the line taught by pulling lightly against the spool between your knees.
When wrapping the tag end round I use my right hand and go over the shank, trap he line between 3rd and 4th fingers of the left hand. Then go under the hook with the righ and pick up the tag end with the right. The repeat for 8+ turns.
When the turns are complete transfer the hook to right hand, carefully gripping the whippings and shank in right forefinger and thumb.
Use the left hand to put the tag end through the loop.
Spit on the loop and carefully pull the knot tight against the tension of the spool (still between your knees.
trim the tag end with a razor blade or sharp braid scissors.

To be honest it's easier shown and is a lot simpler than it sounds in writing!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I use a Matchman Hook Tyer (The Black One with the Knob on it) anyway, i have no problems with Kinks in the line, However, i do leave as short a Tag End as Possible and i lubricate it with Spittle before pulling it through.

I wish i had the Dexterity to tie Spade Ends by Hand, but i figure, why make life difficult for myself if i can do it using a gadget.

I have tried the Drennan one (the orangey red coloured one) but i just couldn't get used to it, so went back to using the Matchman one.

I must say though, that 10 pre tied spade end hooks with loop knots in the end, all individually packaged for £1.99p isn't a bad price to pay seeing as it costs £1.00p for 10 spade end hooks anyway.

I buy all my spade end hooks pre tied now for my Canal Whip Fishing in small hook sizes and really light Hook Lengths, i kept breaking the hook lengths when tying them, i just don't know my own strength when pulling the knots tight.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
There was a time when I could tie my hooks by hand but as I got older I got less and less feeling in my fingers and it became almost impossible and very frustrating so I started using the red hook tyer (no longer made) which is much better than the Matchman tyer. I accidentally dropped it in the river Severn and when I posted it on here one of the kind members sent me one free bless his cotton socks. Incidentally the Drennan pre-tied hooks are the mutts nuts, so good in fact that even the esteemed Dave Harrell always uses them and never ties his own these days.

It is an easy knot to tie by hand with practice and, like riding a bike, never forgotten, I can still tie some hooks by hand but don't often use a size 4 ;)

Last edited:

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I used to tie them by hand, then I got a matchman hooktyer and have used one ever since. I learned how to tie them by hand from watching early episodes of John Wilson's Go Fishing program.