Kettles

M

mike smith

I have recently been given a small stove, and am looking for a kettle to brew up with.

I have only managed to find 1.5L kettles in the few camping shops I have looked in, but I think they are too big.

I really only wanted a one man size, maybe 400 or 500ml, as I am an antisocial git and don't want to be boiling lots at once.

Yes, I realise I only have to boil as much as I put in it, but know it will bug me If I carry a big one about and never need to use its full size ( no, I'm still talking about the kettle).

What do you suggest, where from, and how much.

Cheers ears.

C

Carp Angler

I got my 1 litre one from a camping shop, complete with whistling cap...which my Coleman managed to weld to the spout.

I think they're about ?3 ish.

I haven't seen one smaller, except those little metal teapots which may suit you better.

Let me know where you are fishing and I'll bring my own kettle.
I thought this was one of the few things that carpers unified on, making each other brew-ups.

R

Rob Brownfield

Get yaself one of the new British Army Issue metal mugs. U can brew a cup of tes and drink straight from the mug with no waste etc. They come with a plastic lip piece to prevent blistered lips....please remember to use it!!!

There are several suppliers...try Silvermans in London (Massive army surplus place doing mail order) ot your local shop...they should be able to get. Expect to pat under a fiver...

S

sam oddy

Spookily enough the wife and kids have promised to buy me a new stove for dad's day. I have been messing about with an old gas burner for a few years - great in summer with a full canister, otherwise v. hard and time consuming to reach boiling point.

Can anyone recommend a great stove - what are the coleman multifuel jobs like? are they reliable etc?

By the way and to keep on topic, my kettle cost 1.99 from a local truck stop - Golden Fleece off M6 jct 42 - two years on and its still going strong - no whistle but what the hell!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
There's a stove called a Trangia that works off meths. Very efficient if you want to risk getting the smell of meths on your hands. I don't use one but I do use a Trangia kettle for short sessions. Very small and squat, fits into a small pan with lid on, and boils quickly. Click the link and you can see in pictures what I reckon is a good brew kit for short sessions:
<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=r&UAN=1145>'Brew Kit In Pictures'</A>

R

Rob Brownfield

I would personnaly steer clear of the coleman multifuels. I have used them for both fishing and when serving the Queen (no...I was not a waiter..lol) and i can safely say they are bloody lethal. At worst, they spontainiously combust, usually inside your bivvy. There u are, happily brewing a cuppa when "WOOMPH", u have a ball of flame at your feet. Looks good though as it arcs its way into the lake....almost like a comet!

At best, your hands, rucksack, clothes etc stink of fuel. I used to use the plastic gloves u get at petrol stations when pumping up the pressure...but it did not really help that much.

I now use Epi gas, using the winter mix gas in the cold and normal gas in the summer. I was put onto this whilst huddled around a basha on a remote scottish mountain waiting for the Black Watch to attack us. Its clean, very little fumes, light, burns well, does not leave a black soot on the bottom of your kettle and its relitively cheap.

D

Dave Quintana

I have to agree - I used to use a Coleman dual fuel solution but generally ended up with the stench of petrol about my person so I've now bought a Coleman backpacker gas stove - bleedin' marvelous piece of kit (boils my Trangia in less time than it takes to fart!!)

Message to posting no. 7 - As mentioned above I purchased the smaller variety of Trangia kettle and also being less than up front about 'guesting' peoples drinks I am still able to get 2 large cups of tea out of it. Brilliant kettle and light weight too.

Happy boiling...

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"(boils my Trangia in less time than it takes to fart!!)"

Not if your name's Rik, aka Carp Angler..............

D

Dave Quintana

He who farts last farts longest!!!

PS. I've always preferred gas...

R

Ron Clay

Damnable thing Coleman stoves. I ended up throwing mine away into the nearest skip. I'm now back onto clean and easy gas

D

Dave Quintana

Yes, I managed to flog all the additional extras like Coleman fuel etc to one of my unsuspecting friends and have now filed the stove in my car boot sale box...

God gave us all gas - we MUST strive to use it!!!

P

Philip Inzani

I have the trangia kettle (the one in Grahams link) and agree its very good, light and compact and if you fill it right to the top it almost fills a litre flask contents wise.
I also have the trangia meths stove but this is not so great in terms of time it takes to boil stuff.

D

Dave Quintana

Coleman backpacker stove = ?24.99 from Milletts.
Trangia small size kettle = ?9.99 from Cotswold camping.

Nice kit at nice prices.....

The pan rest on the stove is huge too and when removed from the cannister I keep both top and bottom in a Fox lead and bits pouch.

What a super space-saving idea from the DQ stable!

R

Ron Clay

I'm surprised that nobody has taken the Triangia Unit, put a picture of a carp and Jules head on it, had it painted in camo and then sold it for ?100.00.

I'm going into business

P

Philip Inzani

think I'll join you, what with this and the bog paper idea....your a genius!

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron, too late mate...
Theres the:-
Fox Stealth Stove, allows u to brew a cuppa from over 100 yards away and alerts u to the boiling water using a remote "whistling kettle" box.

the Nash Titan Teasmade, comes with over 200 optional extras from special pegs to stop it blowing over , to its own tea bag bag

and finally, the Hutchy Teamaker. You have to buy 3 of them to get the best out of them, but they do come with spoon clips, SiC gas rings, and a neat brown fininsh

R

Richard Drayson

I seem to remember a similar subject to this a few months back.
My favourite is a Kelly Kettle. The great thing about this is that you don`t need to carry your water seperately. The fuel can be anything that burns eg. paper, twigs, straw, leaves). The makers say you can even use camel dung!!!
Available in two sizes, the larger version can be used with cooking accessories as well. The smaller (1pint)size ideal for those who prefer to rove around a bit.
In conclusion: Everything you`ll ever need to make a brew without the hassle of taking water or fuel seperately. Just don`t light it up in your bivvy cos it`ll smoke you out!