Which in your opinion

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

Absolutley no doubt about the answer to that question in my mind. It is The River Trent.

At 174 miles long it is Englands 3rd longest river. It is one of only two English rivers that has a tidal bore. It is one of only a few rivers, including the Great Ouse, that drains from South to North.

It is the nations largest river in terms of the amount of water it drains from the land. And it probably has more tributaries than most of the other large rivers of this country.

The origin of this river's name is shrouded in mystery. The Romans called it: "Trisantona". It later was given the Anglo Saxon name of Treonte. And finally the French - Trent, which means thirty.

Thirty what?

Some say thirty tributaries. Others say it once was home to thirty species of fish.

The River Trent has had a chequered history. Flowing through the potteries and from thence, some of England's most industrial areas, this river was heavily polluted during the latter part of the 19th century. Prior to this pollution, the Trent was probably the most important of the coarse fishing rivers of England. Here some of Englands finest anglers of the time learnt their art. William Baily, Henry Coxon and the Incomparable "Trent Otter" - JW Martin, come to mind. All species were pursued there, including trout and grayling in the upper reaches.

Beween the years 1906 to 1975, the river suffered some of the worst river pollution ever known. Yet a few of us who knew how, did still, catch some excellent roach in its tidal reaches.

During the past 25 years, the river has recovered enormously. Today it is one of, if not England's premier barbel river. Certainly so in terms of numbers of fish. Not only that the bream shoals are are becoming magnificent, the chub - huge and the roach and dace shoals are returning in numbers. To those who know it's secrets, the Trent is also home to some magnificent pike and perch.

Yes to me, The Trent is truly the greatest of English rivers. Maybe not the prettiest in parts but the challenges it gives to anglers cannot be denied.

I remember a southern angler standing once next, to the bridge at Dunham.

"Look at the speed that water moves", he excaimed. "I reckon 20 Thames's have past here in the last 10 minutes."

What do you think is our country's Greatest River?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

You have got to write an eulogy as to why you think it is the greatest mate.

C

Cakey

Thread: Which in your opinion - Is England's Greatest River?........
The river Lea...............

C

Cakey

Big memories ,lived in a cottage and the front garden was the Lea

Mum and Dad had a boat and every weekend cruised the Lea and Stort so fished every inch

Had a 30lb pike when I was 15 which hung in "Jolly Fisherman" for years

those were the days

Me and the family still fish it through the winter months

its a pretty river unlike the trent

Neil Howard 4

Reaction score
"No man can step into the same river twice, for the second time it`s not the same river,and he`s not the same man". Heraclitus.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Why are you so unromantic and plain cynical Cakey?

jp

Reaction score
Cakey, did you know the guy who used to run a tea stall at the end of Wharf Lane on the Lea,(long time ago now,60s+70s) name of Ernie Wade, also known as Waggy and sometimes as Suet?

C

Cakey

Yes I did meet him a couple of times .....................is that his wife running it now ?

jp

Reaction score
No, wouldn't have thought so, Waggy gave it up years ago and in fact he's been dead quite some time now, nearly 20 years, his wife used to do all the work anyway while Waggy went and fished Kings Weir. He was a real scream though, I worked with him for a while and he used to have us in stitches all day long with tales from the past.

I've got a photo somewhere of him fishing at Hatfield Forest, I'll see if I can dig it out tomorrow and put it in my album. Even that was funny cos it was in the days before bedchairs and Waggy found a sunlounger on a skip, he was sitting fishing from it when the seat cover split apart and he ended up sitting in the mud.

M

michael rouse

The River Bollin because no one else fishes it and its virtually in my garden.

N

Nigel Moors 2

I'd normally say the Dorset Stour. I think it's the most beautiful river I've sat on but it can be hard for a unskilled oaf such as myself. I keep going back even if the fishing can be tough just because the location is so....verdant.

After that I still think the Thames is a cracking river even if it does flow 20 times every 10mins down the Trent! A wide variety of fish in widely varying sizes, lots of small fish and many many undiscovered, unfished holes possibly containing near record barbel, chub and perch.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I'm now waiting to hear what Ed says of the Mersey and The Monk says of the Irk.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The best river for me by a long chalk is the Wye-Severn-Teme-Trent, its the longest river in Britain and absolutely stuffed with fish. I have spent the best years of my life on that river and I still dream about it, when I can sleep at all, and without a doubt its the best. I defy anybody to better it.

Its an impossible question Ron because there is no definitive answer, only an opinion. If I had to narrow it down I would relunctantly say the Severn because it has lots of variety and fish up to specimen size if that is your need.

My wife has instructions to spread my ashes on the Wye when I go and John Jones is gonna take her to do it, he's promised. Why? Because I love that river just as much as any other but its just a little bit special and I would like to see first hand exactly what I've missed all these years.

M

MaNick

For Me... The Loddon... or the Kennet... or the Thames... god!... wish you hadn't asked!..

I'll go for the Loddon... just a little stream most of the time, but it's provided me with many days pleasure, and my PB barbel!...

S

sash

The Trent not pretty Cakey? It certainly is above Nottingham into the upper reaches. Agree fully with you if we're talking about the middle and tidal reaches though. For me I'd say the Trent and followed closely by the Welland purely because of memories.