Fishing Platforms

Joskin

Reaction score
I have just spent an hour searching the internet trying to find a company that can build some timber fishing platfors / pontoons. Can anyone recomend a company or tell me how I can go about building them myself. I would prefer to get someone in to do the job as we need to build around 10.

I am looking to have T shaped pontoons of various sizes.

W

William Spencer

what you probably require is something in the line of a decking type platform.if adequate funds are available then construct the platforms out of oak.this can be an expensive timber to use,but,oak will last for years,forget the crap sold as softwood in the diy stores it won't last.
make the mainframe out of 6by2 timber and deck the platform with one inch thick boards.you will have to use galvanised or brass screws as oak can react with regular steel nails/screws.if you can,bolt short scaffold lengths into the corners,these will help the platform stand on the ground,silt,gravel et al.you don't need to use preservative on aok as it is an hardwood and on a minor point,canal lock gates are made from oak.hope this helps

K

Keith Orange

For the framework, the simplest method is to use steel scaffold poles. The poles are hammered into the lake bed, then horizontal poles are bolted with shackles to the uprights just above the surface of the water. Wood is then used to construct a flat platform ontop of the poles. For bigger Tee shaped platforms, built to cross extensive shallows, I've seen wooden telegraph poles laid ontop of the steel scaffold poles, and then a wooden decking hammered on to the telegraph poles.

For safety, there should be a wooden rim or upstand all around the edge of the platform; a layer of chicken wire should be nailed on to the decking - otherwise decking can be treacherous in wet weather.

The disadvantage of this design is that the platforms, although practical, look crude and ugly.

W

Wolfman Woody

Here's a thought or two.

If you are thinking of installing / building platforms for the disabled, why not get in contact with your local Environement Agency Fisheries Office first. They can offer advice of course, but if the platforms are for disabled use they might even find some funding to help you.

If these platforms are to be installed on the river you will need planning permission first from the EA. This is NOT Fisheries Dept. so they will show no mercy if you install something (I think within 3 metres of the river) without their permission. And it will cost you to apply!!!

K

Keith Orange

Following my posting about using scaffold poles as a framework for fishing platforms, you can improve the appearance by sawing off the steel poles where they protrude above and at the sides of the wooden decking. It also helps if the tops of the platforms are kept close to the water level - although if water levels vary a lot then the you've no choice but to have the platforms sticking a few feet above the water.

I've fished from a professionally built platform in Ireland. Concrete posts were driven into the lake bed, then stiff galvanised wire panels were bolted to the concrete. The panels were strong enough to bear your weight, although you couldn't place any small items on the panel (disgorgers etc) as they would fall through the mesh !

Ergo

Reaction score
I built several platforms using stout pole banged very firmly into the bed and struts fixed across them. The platform itself was made using wooden goods pallets.

Just a word of caution, if you put them up you or the club are liable for any accidents that happen on them.

IMHO the best solution is to cut into the top of the bank, and inlay and wooden decking there with a non slip surface. Maybe nailed down chicken fencing would suit the purpose.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
here is a link worth looking at,its a article by bill rushmer on the design of a platform

http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=516

download this document:
http://www.wkeowntrust.co.uk/Angling Leaflet/Angling Leaflet.pdf

here is a link to a article about a easy to
asseble platfrom for sale (you could get a welder and make your own just like these?)
http://www.anglerstimes.co.uk/platforms.htm

also worth a look (for ideas)
http://www.the-green-oak.co.uk/exterior_commissions.htm

i hope tese are of some help
steve

( http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/chavender )

P

Phil Hackett 2

I'd go along with Keith O's suggestion. one of the meres I fish has platforms made this way and they will take a 2 man bivvy on them with space to move around as well.

Solid as a rock no flex or give and will stand up to wave and wind hammering for a very long time with little or no repair work needed.

Ours have been in for 5 years so far and have needed no repairs to them.

Joskin

Reaction score
Cheers Guys.

unfortunatly it looks like I will have to build them myself.

Best go find some scafold poles and don the chest waders

K

Keith Orange

Joskin, don't forget - you'll need a big sledgehammer to drive the poles in to the lake bed.

M

Mel Crighton

Mind you dont pierce the liner or you will lose all your water haha

Skewett1

Reaction score
I'm thinking of installing a platform on a lake in my garden. My main problem is that the lake bottom is soft.

What are your views on placing a large flat paving stone under the in water support poles, rather than trying to sink them.

I'm a bit concerned that if I just bang in some poles then over time they might sink lower and unlevel the front of the platform.

john step

Reaction score
I think its inevitable. Unless you use oak or scaffold poles they may well rot before the platform dips?
When we bash poles in at our lake it is surprising how far they go into the bottom. Does your garden lake have a liner or clay lined that bashing a pole would puncture?
Your paving slab might be a good idea if the platform is heavy enough to be stable.
There are firms that do re cycled plastic platforms that look like wood on the Google.

Skewett1

Reaction score
I was thinking about going down the recycled plastic route. The poles are now pretty cheap and you can get some decent sized ones (£20ish for a 90 x 90 x 1.5 metres), though I'm not sure I need 90x90s. I'm planning a 2m Square platform so might put 3 poles in the water. If I then bind them together with plastic planks so that at water level won't rot. Only the front poles will be in water with another one, maybe two rows driven, or even concreted into the bank, as I think the strength on the bankside might help to stop the front sinking too much.

To keep the cost down a bit I might cover the top with wood decking and then exchange that for plastic as well in the long term.

If I use square posts with slabs under them that would increase the surface area pushing down on the lake bed. At one time I was considering driving in scaffolding poles but I think they'd be more work to clamp together and I'd be worried that they would sink further in time. Not sure they would be as stable as 90x90mm square posts if I put them on slabs.

The lake bed is clay so no worries with a liner.

john step

Reaction score
Let us know how you get on. A photo would be nice too.

Skewett1

Reaction score
IMG_20180531_101521.jpg

Skewett1

Reaction score
That's my Granddaughter with a home made rod and her first fishing session. I'm thinking of putting it roughly where she's sitting as it faces a nice open bay. Behind her is a channel that goes around the island on the left.

The bad one

Reaction score
The way we did it and do it, is to use scaffolding poles, mainly as you can add sections if the silt is to deep by putting a couplings in. Drive the poles in until you hit hard ground and you have to really give it some welly with the sledge to get them in any deeper. You can then clamp on cross pole and build the platform on to them.
I know of at least 1 water where the guys who built the platforms on the mere sank 30 foot of scaffolding poles in the silt to reach hard ground. :oops: