Zander

R

Rob Mortimer

Allthough i've been fishing a long time now i have never caught a zander ,mainly because they haven't existed in my local waters.
I now live in cambridge and have been told there are some in the lower cam and obviously fens but the latter is bit to far away for the time i have at the moment.
I mainly fish for Tench,Chub,bream e.t.c so my tackle is a bit light perhaps,allthough i do have some avon rods of one and a quater pound test and shimano stradic reels will theese do?
I would be very gratefull for any advice on how when and where to catch them.
[any good books ?]
many thanks

Rob

A

Andy Doughty

If you have the time to get to Ely then the Great Ouse through the city centre gives a great chance of catching a zed or two. Roswell Pits, again Ely, have zeds in, but are becoming harder to catch. There must be zander in the Cam, but how far up they go I don't know.
Your rods will do fine for zander, but how would they would cope with a large pike on the end? Pike always crop up when zandering.
Try fishing close into the margins so distance casting won't be an issue, and make sure you use a wire trace. Size 8 or 10 trebles and small baits, roach heads etc... Try at night if you can as zander tend to feed harder at night or in low light conditons.
As for a book, get a copy of Fenland Zander by Steve Younger, ISBN 0-9527553-0-0. It was recomended to me by Chris and is fantastic.
If you fancy a go in Ely one night, drop me an email and we can sort it out.

Andy, Ely, Cambs.

C

Chris Bishop

They're supposed to be some as far up as the Lazy Otter/Old West confluence. Andy's right about the book. Best thing I've ever read about them.

R

Rob Brownfield

U could also try lures...rubber shads etc will catch.

R

Rob Mortimer

Thanks for your help,it's alot clearer now.
I'm going to the tackle shop this week and just need to know what breaking strain main line and traces are best and any other bits and pieces i might need as i'm starting from scratch [i haven't had time to get the book yet.]
Andy,Chris did you get my e mails yet?
thanks again.

Rob

C

Chris Bishop

Rubber shads etc... I had one on a rubber screw-tail grub thing third cast of the season. Never had a zander on a lure before, so I can see me geeting into this. Andy D gave me some really whacky ones last night so I'm definitely going to give them a work-out.