mitchell reels

N

Nick King 2

anyone out there who collects mitchell reels or knows a bit about the various models???
i`m trying to i dentify a particular model so i can obtain a spare deep spool for it.....
many thanks

T

The Monk

I can remember the New French Mitchell reels hitting the UK market, they were quite a revolution at the time, for years previous, I had used the Intrepid ranges, the monarch and the Elite. One of my first Michells had a half bail arm, cant remember the model type, but in the seventies it was the Michell 300 (still have one), followed by the 410 and the Match, great reels

W

Wolfman Woody

"it's in foreign, but the info you want may be there."

It's in Dutch, John. And there's a little Union Flag symbol so you translate it to Ingulsh.

E

Eric Hayes

Nick I?m not an expert just curious, what model is it...I love some of the old Mitchell reels they are bomb proof and a 300 would be on my desert Island fishing tackle list you know they aren?t going to fly into bits at the first opportunity and if it does you can put it back together again with out having to send it to Wales.

Monk, I have two 300 and two 308 (the 308 have spare spools with cases) and I still use one of the 308's for light spinning, I love the sound it makes, to me it says fishing, or do you think I'm just going mad?

jp

Reaction score
Never spotted that Jeff, but I can almost understand the Ingulsh. :)

I still use a 300 and a 410 on the rare occasions I use a fixed spool reel.

T

The Monk

actually Eric, I still use the 300 for light spinning, I prefer it to my small mulitplyers. I am had a 308 over the years, but in the seventies also had a pair of the 386s, these where beach casters, I used them for long range carp fishing, they were like pre-big pit reels. A lot of pewople collect the old Mitchells, some of them, particularly the half bail arm models go for quite a few bob. The late Leigh Moffatt had a large collection, and they are as you say Eric, Bomb proof

L

Les Clark

Steve,Try E-Bay,there`s alway`s mitchell`s for sale on there.

jp

Reaction score
What are you guys on?

Eric's asking Nick what reel it is; well that's what Nick was asking.

And now Les is talking to Steve, who's Steve?

E

Eric Hayes

lol, I had just got home from work when I was reading the post. What I should have typed is :- Steve what does this reel look like.

PJ I'm almost urinating in my pants laughing.

I really think I am going mad.

J

jason fisher

who the ell is steve no one called steve has posted on this thread yet?

les have you been out collecting wild mushrooms or some thing.

as for eric he's got it right to start with then caught les itis and apologised for getting the name worng which he got right.

no idea on the reel thing but the rest is a laugh.

L

Les Clark

ssssssssssssssssssssorry chap`s,had a senior moment,it wouldn`t be the first time that somebody said ,I didn`t know what I was talking about!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
its sorted gents.........
its a mitchell 4450.....
its not like any mitchell ive ever seen,its got a rectangular body,push button fold away handle and a button on the top rear of the body and side of the body for the back wind and ratchet mechanisms........
i`d still be intrested to know more about this reel--age etc......
many thanks for the replies gents.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

with a wooden handle ???

If so I've got 2 of them somewhere. I beleve they were made for the foreign market
I bought my 2 from a guy who said they fell off the back of a wagon .......

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

and the spool isnt like the normal spool is it ??

N

Nick King 2

the handle is black plastic and the spools are different than those you see on the mitchell matches etc........
i have a deep one which is black metal with the mitchell name in big white letters around the side.on the top of the spool is a red plastic counter situated under the drag mechanism which i just presume shows how much or little drag has been set.on the inside of the spool is a label that gives loading guide lines and what reel the spool fits.this spool is the correct one for the reel.i also have a shallow one(graphite/plastic),no counter on the top and according to the loading guidelines label it also fits another mitchell reel.