How many times have you........?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
not prepared for the next days fishing? How many times have you arrived at your peg/swim and DOH! Where's my this ,where's my that?
Is preparation the most important factor in any fishing?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Don't rush, I did once.

Said it before,

Went all the way to Huntingdon with a mate to fish the Ouse. I thought he had put the rods on the roof rack, he thought I had. When we got there NO rods.

We went all the way back to his house to find the rods still up against the Tree.

Hate it when you forgot the sugar in the Flask.

slime monster

Reaction score
I took a guy to Ironbridge from Stafford on the back of a 500 honda , he had a very threadbare rod hold all that gave up the ghost on the way on arrival his rods were a foot shorter ..happy days

I'm afraid we were very hungover at the time:w

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Have left the landing net hanging in the garden(drying from the day before!)on SEVERAL occasions.....and whats worse,I have hooked decent fish twice and had to call out to a fellow angler(I hate doing that!)to help land it

They don't mind but when I say I forgot to bring my net they mumble(oh really!)........and trudge off...

On one occasion having called out once I decided to try playing the fish out,throwing the rod down and sort of diving on the fish(you had to be there!)...it didn't work and I lost the fish....

I am now fanatical about checking EVERYTHING!!!......it is worth taking time in the long run....Now where did I put my catapult?????

Still thinking about Goldie Hawn I'm afraid...................

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm obsessive about preparation. I spend all the night before getting me gear ready then put what I can [that doesn't show] in the car & stack the rest in the hall so I can't get out without climbing over it.It works 99% of the time though I am a shocker for remembering the tea,milk,sugar but forgetting a cup to drink it from.

The flaw in my cunning plan is the long suffering Mrs S who has been known to "tidy up" after I've gone to bed. That's cost me a couple of round trips to get the tidied up bait/bag. Bless her...she means well !

The Monk

Reaction score
a 50 mile to trip to a carp lake, when I got there I realised I`d left the DVD player at home

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Ive probably mentioned this before at some time but...

Many years ago when we fished the NE Winter league matches the norm was for most of the tackle to be transported to the venues in Jim the milkmans big van, the rest of us would double up in a few cars.
Unfortunately on one particular match on the Swale most of the teams tackle/bait ended up on the banks of the Yorkshire Ouse. Good old Jim got the venue wrong

And there is nothing worse than having to drink milky sweet hot water after forgetting to put the tea bags in a flask. Well there is, it's called 'southern beer', but I'll not go there ;)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I'm terrible. Totally disorganised. I just grab what I think I'll need seconds before loading the car. I'm always overloaded with stuff I don't need and always short of the bits I do need. I spend too much time pressing buttons and not enough time sorting out the tackle. Somehow I still manage to catch the odd fish but don't ask me how... :confused:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm obsessive about preparation.

Like S-Kippy I am somewhat obsessive about my preparations for a fishing trip.

I keep spreadsheet lists for everything I'll need for different days, methods and overnight sessions. As I pack the car I tick the items off of the list, and it certainly saves all those nagging doubts and thoughts on the drive, like, 'did I remember my landing net' etc.

Now watch me forget something for next weeks marathon drive upto GM's retirement bash!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'm like you Peter J. That nagging doubt. Usually as I drive down the ramp onto the M25. 2 minutes from my house.........

Stick_Float

Reaction score
I always leave something behind, most of the time bait from the fridge. Left my bits bag with baiting needle at home not long back and had to improvise one out of the white curly stuff that holds my little notepad together - it worked.

Also forgot night lights last week, nightmare!

noknot

Reaction score
Years ago,

I managed to scrounge a guest ticket on an elite Canterbury sindicate water, this was mid January and not warm! But I had 24hrs to catch a Carp. My Wife dropped me off at the gate in the dark and I made my way to the swim, the wind was pushing strait at me and very cold, set up the rods, then to my horror I found I had no bait!!! So then I had a walk of a mile and and half to the nearest pay phone (no mobiles back then) and then she brought the baits out for me!

After casting I had a run within 20 mins which after a couple mins came off, and I blanked the rest of the sesh!

Carp anglers are mad???:j

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Beach fishing minus top joint

Went beach fishing with my mate and forgot the top section of my beachcaster. Fished anyway but, couldnt cast more than 20yds. Guess what, I caught three Bass and my mate caught s-d all.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Probably sounds stupid but I find myself standing at the front door just before I close and lock,it with my eyes closed and asking under my breath"now have I got everything"?.....and I run through the obvious:rods/reels/bait/net etc etc......seems to work-most of the time!!

....now remembering to fill the car for the early morning start-thats another story!!

Rickrod

Reaction score
when i use to use tubes in my holdall i open the waggler tube there was a hollow sound oh well i go on the tip another hollow sound my mate was taking the micky for the rest of the day. ive also forgot sleeping bags, kettles ,cups ,bait ,odd reel, all sorts.