Pilgrim’s Progress

D

Davy North

Excellent as ever Stuart. Being roughly the same age as yourself, and with parents that didn't fish, although my dad take it up with me. It's amazing to see how fishing lives evolve along the same lines. The bike, the first club, the first car, mine was a Mk3 Ford Cortina, which had a reputation of being an easy car to break in to. Hence quite a few pull ups by the boys in blue at strange times of the day.

In fact only last night at work I was having the same conversation with a long time angling friend, and perhaps falling into that nostalgia trap.
We were chewing the point that youngsters these days don't have to serve that kind of apprenticeship. They pull up at the nearest commercial and catch fish of a stamp we could only dream of at that age.

Although the commercials may mean we see more transient anglers, who start and then get bored, and their fishing tackle become stuck in a cupboard like the golf clubs of so many would be golfers. This is not the true picture, and the true anglers will come through.

If my mate and I, had only took our old git heads off, and cast a thought to another one of our collegues and his son who have just taken up the sport we would have seen the true picture. This lad is keen, and yes he does fish commercials, only the other day he had a 10lb carp, not bad for someone whos only been fishing months. But on the other hand he will just as quickly pick up his gear and walk to his local pond to catch a few small perch. My point being nostalgia is not what it used to be. A true angler will fish any where they can, and always will.

It's just a pitty that the local urban waters such as this lads local ponds seem to be generally on the decline. Fortunatly for him this one isn't and has just been restocked. I'm sure he'll be an angler for life, or at least until he gets married, haha.

Mind you Mr Bloor I have one complaint. I,d just penned out an article which I'd hoped to submit to FM, about an old tench float and the memories it broght back, but some blighter has cornered the nostalgia market.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Always room for more nostalgia articles from anyone who cares to submit one.

S

Stewart Bloor

Davy, thanks for the comments, they are very much appreciated. I look forward to reading your nostalgic article as well soon......

R

Ron Clay

The problem with growing old is that you reach a point where the only thing you can look forward too is nostalgia