Graham's Wye disaster

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
What a blooming shame Graham, I think if it had been me I'd have got my money back and gone somewhere else, still you probably had your reasons for not doing so.

As for Letton well, it sounds to me as though things have changed quite considerable since I was last there. I do know that it has been taken over by the three counties group and it sounds as though they're making a bit of a jock of it.

The Red Lion stretch on the opposite bank sounds a much better proposition now but of course you weren't to know that and if I'd had an inkling of it I would have let you know beforehand.

As for the poor fishing, I suspect that the river had started to run clear and, like most rivers, when that happens they tend to shoal up in pockets and become very wary. The Wye can be a very moody river anyway and it can make fishing very difficult but when it does switch on its absolutely magnificent, non better in my humble opinion.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Graham, I sent you a pm this morning, before the diary piece went up.

You're right, there were good reasons for not complaining which I can't go into here.

The river was great and the fishing on the second day was okay, but we couldn't fish longer than 5.30pm (had to be off the water (Beat 3 where you have to go past the house) for 6pm, which didn't help.

Looking forward to the next trip though, which I'll organise myself.

Thanks to you and John for the help and anyone else who gave us the genuine tips.

C

Cheeky Monkey too

"an H-Design 11ft Avon ?Sulis?,"

Tell us, tell us, tell us, TELL US NOW!!!!!

Don't know why you were complaing about the digs. Sounds pretty typical for British board and lodgings. Ireland? - when I went earlier this year I had to do my own plumbing as well before I could wash.

There's an artist called Barry Herniman does some beautiful watercolours of the Wye valley.

stu

Reaction score
....and name and shame your B&B Graham, just in case one of the FM regulars books.

I must admit I am gagging for a session on the Wye, so if anyone has some more tips on locations, please let me know as I may have a few days down there during the half term week.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I would guess its the one just down the road from the entrance to Letton Court but Graham is the man who knows.

If you want fishing and a place to stop for a night or two you would be hard pushed to beat here Stu.

here

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I didn't name the pub because Eric asked me not to, as it had been recommended to him by a good friend who had stayed there last year. What he and we didn't know was that it had changed hands several weeks ago.

But sod it, you're right, why should anyone else have to suffer like we did. It was The Swan, 100yds down the road from the entrance to Letton Court, just as Graham Whatmore said.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Stu - I second your call for more tips/locations on the Wye. My pal and I are going to take a trip there for a session in the next two to three weeks. Am quite interested in the Upper, Middle and Lower Court near Pencraig between Ross and Monmouth. Does anyone know this area at all? Or do we need to consider somewhere else?

F

Fred Bonney

Nigel,get hold of a copy of this months Coarse Fisherman 5 pages on the Wye!

N

Nigel Moors 2

Thanks Fred. Haven't had chance to pick it up as I've been on shift these last 4 but will get tomorrow.