Cars and tackle

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
How do those of you with smaller cars do about fitting in tackle?

Particularly when going on an overnighter or even longer?

I had a Mondeo and now have a Focus. I can get my rods in but they do stick right out into the front of the car from the boot now, even with all the rear seats down.

I have been looking at roof boxes but wondered if anyone had tips or advice.

I have been scanning Ebay regularly for Thule 500 size boxes which are around 225cm long and would fit 6ft rod sections in easily but they are going for more than I can really justify spending at the moment. Also, all the private sales are collection only (understandable) which rules out many of them as they are just too far away from me.

I am getting concerned about Graham's retirement fish-in and how I'm going to fit everything in that I'll need.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Good question this....

I drive an old(ish) Audi A4 so no problem with space although the rods have to be pushed into the car via the back door and over the lowered passenger seat.

At some time I shall have to think about a change,but as Paul H says all these small cars on the market are not exactly fishing-rod friendly......(I have managed to bend a couple of rod rings in the past so I take greater care now!)
I suppose I'll have to go for a small 5-door and push them in from the back hatch.

Trouble is you cannot leave the car for a minute with the rods on show...!!

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Get yourself a Pikey wagon (transit) like mine. Loads of room for all your kit and even a nice wooden floor to sleep on when the going gets tough.

Not very good for parking outside the church for weddings and funerals though :p

I use the van mostly as the missus needs the car for transporting foster kid around. On the odd once or twice I've used it even a Focus estate can't deal with my Korum two rod holdall, front seat wound forward. Tee-Cee's point about popping into the shop being a no go is very valid when your kit is on display.

heathbryant45

Reaction score
"I am getting concerned about Graham's retirement fish-in and how I'm going to fit everything in that I'll need."

Without the fishing gear i have 3 very large 64lt coolboxes and a bbq to bring to the fish-in! :eek::eek::eek:

dezza

Reaction score
It's about time that the suppliers of British coarse fishing tackle got up to date.

These days I would not buy a rod unless it was in four pieces! That's right, you heard me - four pieces. I do have rods in two and three pieces still, but they are no longer than 11 feet and go in my car with no problems at all. All my fly rods go in the boot, and that IS the place to put most of your tackle.

The old chestnut about rods losing their action if they have more than 1 set of joints belongs to the days of dinosaurs. All the top fly rods are in 4 pieces these days and the action of a fly rod is far more important than for example a carp rod which spends most of it's time reclining on a bloody pod!

And if you have to transport rods around with all the tackle made up, you can do this easily with a 4 piece rod.

:cool:

Reaction score
I am getting concerned about Graham's retirement fish-in and how I'm going to fit everything in that I'll need.

The clue's in the question Paul, how much gear do you actually need?

You're worse than me at over-packing matey, and that's saying something!

Leave the lapdancing pole (Graham'll never go for it!), kitchen sink (for the last time, I ain't doing your washing up!) and home cinema (we'll never all fit in your tent for the DVD holiday-snaps slide show) at home!

Your bivvy doesn't have to look like Hugh Heffner's mansion. Lol! :)

On the other hand, I totally agree with you that standards should be maintained for night-wear... The Heff now does a Realtree line!

multirobe7002.jpg

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I'll never understand why people who go fishing would buy a car that couldn't take all there stuff :confused:

4 piece rods indeed Ron, it's not like they're driving a Robin Reliant :p

Sell the car buy a truck, problem solved and you can charge others for runs to the tip and back.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Without the fishing gear i have 3 very large 64lt coolboxes and a bbq to bring to the fish-in! :eek::eek::eek:[/QUOTE said:
Ah but you've got a bigger car now Wol ;)

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I am lucky that I bought a people carrier, loads of rod room.

But I use the black plastic rod tubes that they send rods bought online in. they look like a bit of drainpipe with red plastic caps on, I think you can buy them from tackle shops that post gear out.

A pair of rods and a bit of foam in one of these is a good solid transport solution, no knocked carbon fibre rods and no bent rod rings, and I am sure a bit of ingenuity and a roof rack could make these a cheap small car solution.

richiekelly

Reaction score
I am lucky that I bought a people carrier, loads of rod room.

But I use the black plastic rod tubes that they send rods bought online in. they look like a bit of drainpipe with red plastic caps on, I think you can buy them from tackle shops that post gear out.

A pair of rods and a bit of foam in one of these is a good solid transport solution, no knocked carbon fibre rods and no bent rod rings, and I am sure a bit of ingenuity and a roof rack could make these a cheap small car solution.

i have used this method to take rods to france and holland and must agree that it is a good way to transport rods on roof bars leaving more room inside the car for even more bait/tackle an alternative to rod tubes are peices of tubing from plumbers suppliers as they are thicker than rod tubes

klik2change

Reaction score
I have a Skoda Felicia, about the same size as a Golf. I pack my car to the gills to go on a two or three day session with bivvy, bed chair etc, etc... My rods fit between the front and back screens and that's good enough for me. I always make sure i can see well enough to drive safely - if a bit overloaded! I am a cautious driver and I would not leave home if I felt unsafe.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Spiders has a Focus and NO ONE carries more gear than him ...ask Ray............wh

No Spiders has a 44 Ton Lorry, and it's always full.

You don't need rods with 4 bit's.

I drive a Volvo estate Turbo T5, takes all I need for long sessions, but they isn't as much room in it as used to be in my Mondeo estate.

I sometime nick the wifes Cleo two door, With the back seats down I can get my gear in for a weekend session, and the rods end up on the passenger seat in the front.

The problem is anglers take more than they need.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I intend to catch some double figure bream :)wh), I have a special particle blend recipe awaiting a good soaking in the garage as we speak.

I shall have to examine what I'm bringing closely I suppose.

The tubing idea is a good one for rods on the roof rack. I might look into that one if I can't find an affordable second hand roof box.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Do they do it in Realtree :D

Sorry to appear awkward, but i want my mates to see me in the latest colour, or not to see me but to see me well if you get my drift.

I suppose i could use this one in the winter.