new evidence

P

Phil Hackett 2

The full paper would be interesting to read. Lots and lots of questions about how they did it? Is it proven fact or someone's opinion masquerading as a scientific fact?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Notwithstanding the obvious disparity between blind cave fish and our freshwater species, what I found slightly more disturbing were the comments by the NFA spokesman, thus:

"Their intelligence just adds to the interest - it would be awful if people were only catching fish that were stupid,"

and then . . . . . .

"I think it might attract more people to fishing, by showing it's more of an even contest."

IMHO this was not the most logical, or intelligent response.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Have to agree Peter there answer could have been worded better.

Most anglers know that fish are not totally stupid. Catch a Chub and it knows where every snag is nd heads stright for it. try a dry fly for a trout it will look but will not always take. Why because it as deduced something is wrong.

I use to keep fish and find it funny that it is alwright to keep fish in small enclosed tanks but not to catch wild swimming fish, some of which never get caught from one year to the next.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Us anglers have always known that fish are intelligent creatures.
This three second memory thing has always been nonsense.
Nothing new in this report at all.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I went to look at the NFA web site to see if they had made any attempt to better combat this report, and sadly yet unsurprisingly, found nothing!

All I did find however was that someone in the NFA has yet to learn how to spell the word Compromised, and they had it as; Comprimised, and this on the home page (?)

At least the Daily Telegraph had made an attempt at fairness inasmuch as they had linked both the PETA and NFA web sites on their headline page.