Bait Dropper

N

Nigel Moors

Can anyone give me a useful bit of advice about how I utilise a bait dropper. I make several trips to the Throop fishery on the Dorset Stour after Barbel and Chub and usually use a catapult to feed the swim. I've never been too happy that my bait is landing in the right place and after reading loads of magazine articles declaring the accuracy of bait droppers I went and bought one. I'm off to the Stour on Thursday 13th and haven't got a clue how I attach it and use it. There is a large eye at the top with a bit of cork which I presume is for bedding a hook but I'm totally unsure how to use this thing without losing it in my swim.

By the way, I've had some success with Thames Barbel and caught one south of Abingdon weighing 8lb 3oz on yesterday. It followed a couple of Chub and a Bream completing a brilliant short evening session and christening a new Wilson Avon rod to boot!!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You attach the dropper as you've already guessed - through the eye and then really bed the hook in the cork to help prevent loss. Baitdroppers are brilliant for getting the bait right down to the bottom where it counts. They only work efficiently in swims where you can literally 'drop' it in or, at most, need no more than a slight swing to drop it. If you have to reach out more than, at most, two rod's length there's a good chance the dropper won't open. Don't overfill it. Good rod, the Avon Wilson, much underestimated. Glad you christened it!

N

Nigel Moors

Graham,
Many thanks. I was mainly worried that the dropper would come adrift from my terminal tackle but I'll use it the way you suggest.
I take it that using it this way means that you can slip the dropper on without having to re-tackle?

Looking forward to the trip next week, let's hope the weather doesn't ruin it.

Cheers,
NM

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Some anglers carry a spare rod to use the dropper on, but you can get away with using it on the rod you're fishing with if you're careful.

E

Edmund Cowpe

Nigel, quick tip; don't overfill it. For best results only 3/4 fill. Particles such as hemp, corn, maggots etc are best

K

Keith Miller

Make larger versions from small size tuna cans to get bait in more rapidly.

A

Andrew Thomas

I carry a dropper rod: an old 2.5 tc carp rod loaded with 10lb line. I knot the dropper to the line (I've 3 sizes depending on how far out I want to fish), and I can easily underarm a medium sized (say 0.25 pint)dropper several rod lengths out. The bigger the dropper the shorter the distance obviously. I don't trust the embedded hook method and lighter rods will be easily overpowered by the weight. I bet the shops are littered with old and second-hand carp rods, we know what tackle tarts carpies are!
As the others have mentioned don't pack it tight or it won't open.