Winter Clothing

G

Ged

Sound advice Graham. All hikers know the dangers of denim. Once wet or damp, it draws heat away from the body which can result in Hypothermia.
If you have any distance to walk, clothing with a wicking property is ideal. These are made with a short pile on the inside which absorbs moisture away from the body leaving you dry and warm.
I'll take up your advice on footwear. I have the moon boots but as you say, difficult to walk in. If my feet are cold, then I am cold even with all the thermals etc.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Just to cap on the Sundridge Igloo 3. I'm chuffed to bits with mine and cant rate it highly enough. I've been out in some torrential rain and it was 100% waterproof. I've been out in some very cold conditions and its been warm. Very well made and comes with detachable inner jacket and a superb adjustable hood.

W

Welsh Goff

I've got the Sundridge Siberian,the only problem with it is once its on, i dont want to take it off.

Darren George

Reaction score
When it comes to base layers and mid layers, go for merino wool. It wont let you down.

See Icebreaker at snowandrock.com

E

EC

For bargain mid layers and base layers check out the running shops, real top quality gear at very reasonable prices!

Agree about the Igloo Woz, had mine 4/5years and can't remember the last time I used a brolly or got in the car wet, I use mine for sea fishing as well!

It is the best bit of kit I own by far, am thinking of getting a flotation suit though, for flooded rivers and sea, the only thing is apart from 1 which is blue most of them are really bright!

E

EC

Fine if I fall in the sea, but not so god for musing round an inland river!

jp

Reaction score
Up until last winter I would have agreed that moonboots were the best option for keeping you feet warm but then I bought a pair of *Aigle Parcours Iso* they are like a welly boot but lined with neoprene (4mm from memory), not cheap at ?90 but very warm,comfortable and easy to walk in,although they are a bit heavier to wear than a good welly. Got mine at Scats.

If you do wear a walking boot of the goretex lined variety (and I do) it's best to use a liner sock to wick away any sweat, the *Bridgedale Coolmax Liner* gets my vote.

A question about the Sundridge Igloo. Does it really keep you completely dry on the pressure points, bum,shoulders,knees etc. or does it (like so many others) start to let water through after a while?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Eddie Fladen have just brought one out in camo. Alternativly just but a self inflating life presurver. Though to be honest staying afloat is the least of your worries if you fall in.

Your local mountain walkers shop is always a good place for gear if you can walk up moutains in it walking to your swim should be a doddle.

W

"A question about the Sundridge Igloo. Does it really keep you completely dry on the pressure points, bum,shoulders,knees etc. or does it (like so many others) start to let water through after a while?"

Mine has so far JP, this is what has impressed me most. Had sooooooooo many that have let in water once kneeling down or the shoulders tend to get damp once sat out in the rain it for a while.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In the past I have had jackets and suits that did not clean up too well.

Is the Sundridge Igloo easily cleaned?

As we do tend to do a lot of kneeling, (either unhhoking or even praying) it is good to hear that Warren.

C

Coops

Sundridge clothing is damn good. I've had my Siberian two piece for the last two winters and it is superb.

I especially like the detachable deep hood with wire peak, a real boon for us short sighted bods who have to wear glasses. The rain does not get inside and continually run down your lenses as with standard hoods.

Mind you, sometimes I get so warm in the jacket my glasses steam up even on the coldest days if I have to walk a ways to a favourite swim.

W

"Is the Sundridge Igloo easily cleaned?"

Dunno, never cleaned it, the driving rain did that the other night when i was sat out in it for two hours.

Clean it, lol lol lol.

Yeah, i forgot to mention earlier about the 'wired' hood, good init.

jp

Reaction score
Clean it!

You're havin a larf Peter.

Get your ghillie to do it.

C

Cheeky Monkey too

I got my one-piece Koma suit for really cold days. A few years ago on the bank on a freezing morning a woman passed and asked if I wasn't cold.

"You're joking. All I got on underneath is a T shirt and training slacks."

She then said "Oh, I wish I could come in there with you."

"You're welcome, madam." says I "But it tends to stain the lining."

Oops, this should be in the bait box.

jp

Reaction score
I've got a Koma, but it's only for dry days now, waterproof for a couple of seasons but that was all.

Replaced that with a cheapo while I find a better one, probably a Sundridge, they seem to get better press than most.

I do wonder sometimes how much fishing in bad weather some reviewers really do, and over what sort of period of time.(ie in months and years rather than hours)

A

Albert Watkinson 2

really excellent article graham.useful to the newcomer and to a great extent does away with the frustration of what to buy.
albert

C

Cheeky Monkey too

The main reason a lot of the waterproofing "wears off" is because anglers give them to 'er indoors to wash and she stick them in with the usual dollop of Daz or Persil.

NOT GOOD!

They should be washed in a pure soap solution, not a detergent, and occasionally should be treated with a reproofing liquid.

Take a look here for the best stuff to use.

E

EC

Igloo suits say do not machine wash, as such, like Woz, mine gets 'washed' every time it rains!

JP I once fished in a proper torrent (havent we all) no brolly, and genuinely, there was a puddle on the seat of my chair as it could not drain away quick enough! I got back to the car and my bum was totally dry mate. I was sat in that puddle 2hours plus!

B

Bill Eborn

Thanks for the link Jeff - I need to try and reproof my jacket, ready for when it gets really nasty. Its a good point about wicking particularly with regard to your base layer. It maybe not so important if your winter fishing is static but if you rove a lot, or even worse if you are mad enough to ride a bike to go fishing in the winter like I do, then its especially important. I have got Helly Hansen bottoms and a Peter Storm top. The difference in price between the two was about a tenner but the Helly Hansen stuff is much better and wicks the sweat away more effectively. Being soaking wet form the inside out on a freezing cold day is not pleasant.

If you have got the physique for it you can also impress your truly beloved quite effectively in the long johns - if there is an advantage to riding a bike to go fishing incidentally, I am sure it is limited to the possession of the finely tuned set of calves, thighs and stomuch muscles that come from straining up those hills!