Telescopic rods

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a decent telescopic rod suitable for a 'now and again' angler (my neighbour) that fits into a car boot? Nowt expensive 'cos he doesn't fish more than 2 or 3 times a year.

He knows nothing at all about angling but fancies a dabble on the odd occasion, not only that but now and again he parks his camper van on private land on a private stretch of the Teme and he asked the owner if I could go fishing with him, he said yes providing he told no one else where it is, so I won't ;)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
He wants to try when I am not there and he says he wants his own rod for the odd occasion. He's as tight as ducks doodah though so he won't pay a lot, he even buys secondhand clothes out of charity shops. As for lending him my rods he wants ones that fit into his boot (think he got that from charity shop too ;))

A

alan whittington

Graham,i wouldnt look at shimano,i bought one myself as a holiday bit of fun for mullet,i snapped the top ring off while ringing up,with the drag set really,really light,when i returned from my 'hols' i rang shimano and they basically told me to pi*s off,that rod cost £44(should have been a fair bit more),i would look out for a travel rod of some kind,obviously with smaller sections.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Hahaha! Neighbour has just been in with a kiddies telescopic rod and a reel that was made in China. The reel was rusted so much you couldn't even turn the handle, "can you fix it for me " he asked. He was most upset when I said to bin it, seemed to think I was kidding.

Some people eh!

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Propably been near the sea Graham. That'll kill any cheap reel.

You can buy rubbish telescopic rods from 6 to 11 feet for around a fiver. They work, they flex, they do the job. I've a couple of 6 footers that I used for spinning and baitcasting...I've had a 2lb. trout on and it didn't break.

The trout tasted lovely!

The 11 footer is a bit of a pig, but it would do the job for the occasional foray, especially if using rod rests.

Or you could look out for a John Wilson telescopic rod. they're supposed to be pretty good.

Equally this years fashion accesory seems to be a travel rod, made up of 5 or 6 sections....everyone is doing one...even John Wilson, again.

Reel? Cheapey Shimano plastic thing....about £15. As light and smooth as a reel twice the price.

A

alan whittington

I'd agree with the reel IC,i got a hyperloop 4000 free(supposedly)with a magazine subscription and to be fair its not a bad bit of kit,ok its only got one ball bearing,but its drag is smooth and seems micro-adjustable,certainly better than a pair of okumas that i paid considerably more for,but thats another story.

tortoise100

Reaction score
Shakspeare range look ok to me I have never used one but someone I know uses one allot even though he has shimano expensive rods in his quiver .

The one he uses has a good action and I was impressed.

Think they start around £10 mullarkys have them all but they can be cheaper on ebay though you can't take them back if you do that.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Okay guys thanks for your replies but he seems content with the kiddies one and tells me it will do him for his needs so he won't be buying one though I have persuaded to go to the local tackle dealer and buy a cheapo Shimano off him plus some Maxima. He seems visibly shaken at the thought of spending money but realises he has no other option.

I did say he was tight didn't I :D

A

alan whittington

Ha,ha Graham,ive a mate i fish with got a rear end as tight as your neighbours.:D:D:D