From fry to forty..... in only seven years.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you have read this weeks Angling Times, but there is an article this week on page 4 whereby a new genetically modified strain of Carp is to be created by scientists. Riverfield Fish Farm owned by Simon Hughes has managed to isolate the cells responsible for fish growth and the belief is that a record carp could be grown from fry in as little as 10 years.
What are you views on this?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I have heard about this carp. It will be called Cyprinus carpio lardus. Or the "Lard Carp."

By combining pig genes and genes from carp anglers themselves, this carp will be able to grow at an incredible rate. These fish will also possess indolence and lassitude and will not fight very hard.

It will also have genetically engineered genes from the African Grey Parrot and will be trained to say its own name on capture.

More practical anglers and fish breeder will readily accept it's more positive attributes, in that a fish of 1 year old will weigh about 6 pounds and will be sold in supermarkets ready for the barbie or similar to oven ready chickens.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Breaking News:

This carp will from a fry have an in-situ baseball cap inplanted on its head as well as a number of tattoos down it's body. The later strains using parrot genes will be able to spout rap music to a special instrument implanted in the fishes anus!!

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Do I take it that in general you don't have a high regard for carp or 'carp anglers' Ron?

On a seroius note what are you views on this type of genetic modification, will it be Barbel next?

M

Mel Crighton

With the amount of Boillies that are fed to the carp we do not need to modify them to make them grow to 40 lb just bung in more Boillies.

B

Big Rik

Sounds like a Trent fish.

I hope so Wol, want to make our trip to the Trent worthwhile.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

No but we need to give them more lassitude and indolence Mel. Remember that the use of the bodies muscles and brain, burn off calories. We cannot afford this if we want our carp to reach a massive weight.

The carp must consist of 95% lard.

B

Big Rik

Richard

current carp are a genetic modification anyway and this is just another step.

Currently, where weight seems to be the only goal, then this is pushing it in that direction.

We think nothing of having diseases and imperfections taken out of our vegetables, or genetic mods to cure birth defects or illnesses, so why not in our pleasure pursuits?

I'm not saying I agree with it, it's just man doing what man does.

As for Ron, he's just trying to get people to bite, but as people know what he's up to, then he has to be more and more obnoxious.
Sad really, but hey, if it keeps him happy.

M

Mel Crighton

Ron , make up your ground bait with lard and bread crumb then.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Rik I agree its man doing what man does but as I'm not an enlightened scientist and have done no background reading I'm not sure of the ethics or possible repurcussions. Are current carp a genetic modification? Or is it a case of selective artificial breeding, is that the same as genetic modification. What strains have been bred with what other strains? Were they originally the same strain centuries ago and differences occured due to natural development/evolution, or have we modified genes scientically already. What is the difference between natural evolution, selective breeding and genetic modification?

Blunderer

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that these fish are going to be all female? Females grow quicker and also if they do not spawn they put more weight on.
Carp fishing has gone crazy and this is just another step.
Nature has a way of balancing things. I think that man's continual meddling with the ecosystem by making carp the dominant fish in all our waters will end in disaster.
Anyone remember Perch disease in the 70s? Who wants to bet me that we have a devastating carp disease in the next ten years?

R

rob tudor

Devastating carp disease already here (Koi Herpes) coming to a water near you soon if people dont dry their nets sacks etc between trips or if unauthorised stockings take place even stockings with all the paperwork are not 100%. As for GM carp not much difference to the triploid trout at Dever Springs Stock a lake full of 40lb+ GM carp and you could charge ?100 a day and be pretty full 7 days a week which unfortunatly speaks volumes for carp angler ethics sad but true