Anti Angling

B

Bill Eborn

Steve
This is the Brighton based group that threw stones at kids during a fishing teach in at Passies Ponds which is a few miles from our fair city. It is interesting that there are so few responses to their forum discussions, mostly it seems that 'chris' spends his time online talking to himself.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No disrespect to the angler concerned, but we need people like this kind of anti, he is helping to protect our sport.
Not many people would support that kind of talk.

S

Steve Beedles

well, hopefully this kind of disgusting behaviour will lift some of the non angling community to our cause. In an attempt to get the press looking into this, I have sent an email to each of the major newspapers and given them the link. Who knows, might get one of them looking into it.

Ergo

Reaction score
Bill, I expected nothing less from Brighton, it seems to attract the lunatic fringe. It wouldn't happen here in Eastbourne :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you took a look at the Home Page of this ill informed group there is an article on the next fight - To Stop the Rearing of Pheasants for Shooting.

I sometimes wonder if these people and their ilk will only be happy when the countryside is a weekend retreat for bunny hugging townies!!!!

R

Richard Huggett 1

Oh yes it does Eric...when I had my eel fishing website up and running, I had several nice messages from these guys regarding me and my hobby. I had hate email regularly, threats towards me and my family, the usual niceities....they seemed a real friendly bunch !!

I invited a representative to my home to discuss their problems over a baseball bat or two, but my offer was declined for some reason....since then I have had no further contact from them.
Shame really, I was looking forward to a nice chat.....

S

Steve Beedles

I must admit I find it amusing that their poll for / against fox hunting currently has a majority for!

B

Bill Eborn

Ergo
Do people fish in Eastbourne? I thought they were all too busy knitting and going to coffee mornings.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Bloody cheek !!! Eastbourne is the sin trap of the South I'll have you know, young fella me lad !!!
You should see 'em down here on pension day, bloody dangerous they are...

B

Bill Eborn

Actually I thought Barking was in Essex until I moved down here.

There was a piece in the Brighton Argus a week or so ago prompted by a local animal rights group's outrage after some dead rabbits had been dumped by the A23. Sure dumping a pile of dead rabbits by the side of the road isn't a particularly neighbourly thing to do but some of the comments in the piece and in subsequent letters about what lovely pets rabbits make - what wild rabbits are you mad! - set the mind boggling.

After the incident at Passies, I ended up getting into a bit of a spat through the Keep on Fighting site with a couple of the antis. To be honest it was quite enjoyable until I got bored. I think I won the debate too. It struck me most of all, that they don't have anything like the insight into the natural world and our place in it that we are privileged to gain from angling. That will always be our strongest card, I think. The biggest shame is that we are so bad at communicating that to the wider world.

Beedz

Reaction score
I think you're right there on the communication part. As a community we would really have a huge impact. Let's face it, if every angler stood up and threatened their votes over the subject, the politicians would do whatever they were told. (as they are supposed to do in a democracy!)
As for the anti's, the government should be doing more to protect law abiding people from their abusive and threatening behaviour. I don't know, but I bet no one got arrested after the stoning incident! Course if a parent of the children went across and dropped a few of the stoners, then no doubt they'd be arrested!

M

MaNick

Much of the "direct action" mentioned on this site happens close to where i live, and is against the HLS facility.

The ALF damage property of ANYONE who has anything to do with this establishment....

Surely, they are alienating the public on mass?...

Overall the site does not seem to have a massive "anti-angling" agenda though?..

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nick,

As I mentioned in a recent article on FM the Home Secretary is currently considering legislation to stop the anti lobby employing these "terrorist" tactics.

Hopefully, it will be passed sooner rather than later.

B

Baldrick

According to last months Country Life, (small article) some Labour held councils have banned fishing on their park/town lakes.

Beedz

Reaction score
I bet the legislation to stop the 'anti tactics' won't get rushed through as quick as the hunting ban!
On that note:
From what I hear (yet to read it myself) it contains wording that could easily be read across to shooting / fishing.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Beedz,

I don't see anything in the consultative paper that could be construed in that manner.

Here is a link to the Home Office site directly to the current (July 2004) paper:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/docs3/humanrights.pdf

It is quite interesting that even under current legislation there are several instruments that could be used to counter anti angling protests.

]All we need now is to have a united angling body that have the necessary experience, funding and education to invoke their use.

Ooops, sorry, did I actually say that out aloud?

M

MaNick

I think that just cos there is a hole in the ground, with water and fish in it, it dosn't give people the right to fish it.

Many of those listed sites were either park ponds, or conservaton area's.

Angling needs to look inwards, organise itself, THEN think about justifying itself to the lawmakers.

I cant see that happening...