HEAVY duty barbel reels

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing all my stolen tackle. For several years I have used 6010gt shimano baitrunners for my trent barbelling without any real problems but I was never keen on the fact that the rear drag/baitrunner tensioner was on the same nob and the reel sometimes seemed to lack cranking power.
I also found the clutch rather inprecise in that you could set it seemingly perfectly before fishing but several hours later it seemed to jam when a fish was hooked. I'm presently looking at the baitrunner B which has a front drag any other suggestions bearing in mind I sometimes need to retrieve 8oz leads.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I still would go with the baitrunner they are stopping the gt so the b looks good especially as you are starting from scratch as there spools are a diffrent size.

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
Had a little play with the replacement for the Aero Gt today (the grey/silver one) and the sticky clutch problem seems to have been solved but I'd still rather go for a front drag baitrunner.
Does anyone own the okuma range or any similar front drag reels?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I had a look at the okuma seemed ok for the price if only using occasionally but for constant use i would go with the Shimano

T

Tony O'Dell 2

Okuma's are lovely reels..have posted a review on the ones i have got...sold my Shimano GTE's to get them...

Wurzel

Reaction score
I too have always used shimano(5010), but recently was looking for a smaller more lightweight reel to replace my old knackered FGT 3000s. I found what i was looking for in the Daiwa Regal 2550 BR. This is a cracking reel. It is small, it has a metal spool and it and has a baitrunner facility with drag and baitrunner tension nuts in different places. I think the retail is around ?80 odd, but i got mine for ?62.It takes around 150 yards of 10lb, which in my opinion is more than enough for barbel. Probably takes around 130 yards of 12lb, which again is plenty. great for roving and general barbel fishing.

Wurzel

Reaction score
Tim,

If you like bigger reels, the next size up might be better for you.

D

Deecy

Tim I have had a couple of Daiwa Laguna 4000 reels that I have used for a year or so.They are worth a look if a baitrunner system is not needed.Shop around I found some for about ?50.They have an excellent front drag which requires about half a turn to adjust from baitrunner mode to playing fish tension.As for the Baitrunner B the A series have a super front drag and are really tough reels with plenty of cranking power.The 3500 size is ideal for most things.The A series have poor line lay and I have no idea if the B series are any better.If you don't have to cast far I would go for the 3500 B (or A if you can finf them second hand).

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
Thanks mate, A baitrunner facility is neccesary in my case because I have hands like shovels and fiddling around with a clutch would take forever. For the same reason I dont like double handles (I was gonna say I prefer a propper nob but thought better of it knowing eddie & monk will be scrutinising). Thanks for the advise dave & best wishes.