Lowest points in angling

P

Philip Inzani

I was just reading another thread and I think it was Rik who said holding a pole in the rain has got to be on of the lowest points in angling. It got me thinking, what would you put as your lowest point ?

For me its packing up in heavy rain especially if a bivvy is involved.....you get soaked, kit gets soaked, car gets soaked, then you have to dry the whole lot out when you get home. I live in an apartment as well, so no garden, not fun....but I always seem to return for more!

R

Rob Brownfield

I once travelled 160 miles to a Scottish carp water, only to have discovered I had left my boilies at home. I was not impressed as you cant just nip into a local tackle shop and buy them.
I ended up using bread...and caught nothing!

C

Chris Bishop

I went to the beach once without any bait when I lived in Devon.

I was was rummaging through the bins in the car park, wondering if anyone had slung any away when they'd finished, when this bloke came up, gave me a fiver and said: "Go on mate, get yourself a decent meal with that..."

P

Paul Williams

I settled into a swim on Linch hill one night for a couple of days roaching i had at least 10 pints of loverly fat maggots with me.
It was peeing down and i was tired so i decided to bait up the swim but not fish untill first light.
This i did and retired to the bivvy, i was up and ready to get stuck in just before light so i decided to lightly top up the swim and get down to some fishing.....i reached for the maggots and was struck speachless, i hadn't put the top back on properly and rain had got in.....i had 2 maggots left!!!!!!......i went home and kicked **it out of the dog's!!!!!!!

D

David Will

Joining Ruislip AS and having a ball on Savay for Tench that were unfished for and finding out the club were kicked off the next season.
Finding out that not every water contained a mythical uncaught monster.
This winter having found a good Pike water and not being able to fish it due to first the rain and then F & M :(

J

Jonathan Faro

I think mine was when my local river was almost wiped out by pollution.

Jon

A

Andy Rooke

hi
one of mine was one night when i was fishing for a couple of nights on a local hampshire water, i saw a few fish moving so i opted for that swim. any way it was about 11 am and had a cople of bleeps i woke up and decide to have a fag a switched my headlamp on to find that my pop up tub was floating i realised what had happened my profil had about half a foot of water in my profile worse to that there was loads of maggots crawling in my brolly all over the sides i was not amused, at least i had a 20 plus common which i was a bit happier
andy

R

Rob Mortimer

My lowest point was being told my 4lb 2 oz crucian couldn't be accepted as a british record because the photos weren't clear enough at the time i was gutted [two years ago]because what are the odds of any of us actually catching a record fish?
but now i just look at it as one hell of a PB

K

Kevan Farmer

A few years ago I went through the blank spell of hell. For two years solid I caught nothing. It was at this point that I became a born again 'back to basics' angler. I changed my outlook entirely and settled down to catch whatever came my way instead of big barbel or carp. I'm now genuinely happy to catch gudgeon and small roach from the local canal. I really do not understand people who target single fish and will go without a bite for months on end just for this one particular fish.

J

Jonathan Faro

Kevan even at my tender young age of 18 I can realise that 90% of fisherman can take head of what you've just said. Remeber as a kid you where happy caching anything, I was from the rivers round where I live. By all means have a target fish. I hope to see let alone catch a monster chub I saw a few years ago but sadly I think it was killed in the aformentioned pollution accident. However I'll be happy on the bank as long as theres no annoying people about with whatever, my whip, my float/light ledger rod or my carp rod for that big fish that supposidly lives in the lake, I'm sure it does having seen it jump once.

Jon

J

James Bradshaw

I spent most of my first-ever season fishing for chub on luncheon meat on the River Lea. I was just packing up one night, when I turned round and noticed my rod dancing in the rests... anyway, to cut a long one short, after about 10 minutes I got this thing to within netting distance - turned out to be a bloody great eel, which I attempted to land in my 20'' pan net (I had all of about a fortnight's experience to call on at the time!). After half a dozen attempts, my net got tangled on a bit of discarded line stretched across the front of the swim, the eel slipped the hook and off it went. Thing is, I could see 5 feet of that eel as I was trying to land it (I had it's head 2 foot up my landing net pole! Y'learn...!), and it wasn't getting any smaller...

K

KENNETH FURIE

Low point with a high.
I spent hours getting all my pre-match stuff done. everything perfect.
arrived at the match, wrong venue. 1 hour later arrived at the right one
and was put into the only available peg. I couldnt set my stall up correctly
and it started to rain. pinkies all over the place, no tin opener for the sweetcorn.
oww dear. Any way went on to steal 3rd in section but couldnt help but wonder
what would have happend otherwise.
Qhatever happend to the young me, with brother, a rod each and a plastic
bag, sandwiches and a bottle of pop. To top it all a few perch.
Now its the bait bill from hell, all the gear (inc wife) and if it aint 16m long you aint got a hope, I weep at the memory.

K

Kevan Farmer

Kenneth. Try what I did. Take as little as you'll need for a maximum 3 hour session. Half a pint of maggots maybe, one rod and reel set up and try to regain what you had in your youth. It might not work but if it does it feels bloody fantastic. There's nothing wrong with carp/barbel/pike/match fishing. But to go back to basics once in a while is good for the soul.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
My worst moment was probably when I drove 25 miles for an after work session at a club lake. I set up my pole, nets, baitwaiter etc. Plumbed the depth and got the rig right and was ready to start. Went to pick up my hand wiping towel from behind my box and my leg hit the baitwaiter that promptly tipped into the lake with all my bait. So I packed up and went home without even shipping the pole out with a baited hook.

C

Carp Angler

I remember that story Coops, very amusing.

I hope we have nothing to add to this thread after tomorrow.

I've had quite a few horror stories from the bankside, a couple of the less easily forgotten ones.......

Being dropped off by my parents for a 3 day session and getting sunstroke, spending 2 days shivering and being sick is a great laugh, luckily my Dad popped in the day before I was due to finish to see how I was getting on.

Sneaking around to the far corner of an old brick pit to get closer to some topping carp and falling in a clay quagmire.
I managed to grab a branch and only sunk upto my waist, I lost my wellies and trousers to the gloop and managed to crawl to safety after about an hour.
When my father collected me, I was covered head to foot in quickly drying clay and he made me sit in the boot for the drive home.
I really thought I was going to die during that escapade.

There's many more, I'll recant them some other time.

J

Jonathan Faro

I got sunstroke once. It was a few years ago and in may I think and the day was cold so I had my thermosflask of tea so I went along got dropped off by my Mum adn it turned into the hottest dya of the year (up to then) I got burnt to hell spent the next day shivering unable to do anything.

Jon

A

Andy Rooke

another one when i was fishing a session in chesire i was aiming to do a week session, come the second day the right side of my face was feeling a bit sore thinking nothing of it i went to sleep that night to wake to the pain a bit worse so i had a few paracemal and it eased the next day i woke in the morning i had an absess the size of a tennis ball, i went to the hospital and they gave me some special tablets nad i had to go home i could not lift my gear or anything i hope it never happens again
andy

J

John Tait

A few years back I was a member of a syndicate - Graham may remember which one.

We had a massive fish-kill one close-season (suspected pig-slurry), and I was visiting the lake at least twice during the week, and also at weekends. Every visit I was finding and burying fish - and we are not talking little stuff here, we are talking carp of any size between mid-doubles and thirties.

We were finally left with about a dozen carp after it was all over - I fished the water about twice during the following season, and left the syndicate the following year.

The worst part was probably that every time I left home for the lake, I knew what I would find - more rotting bodies.

Jonty

K

Kevan Farmer

All the talk of heatstroke reminded me of the other extreme. A good few years ago I was fishing the Severn at Atcham. I caught my pb barbel at the time 10lb. I was so excited I thought the shaking was just that, exitement. However, it was the second or third week in January. I was in the first stages of hypothermia. Bad, very bad. I didn't thaw out properly until the next day. Who said you can't catch barbel in winter eh?

D

Dave Johnson

I remember as a young teenager being dropped off by dad at Copmere in Staffordshire-miles from anywhere at first light in February after pike and telling dad to pick me up at 4pm. I got down to the pool in semi darkness, heard dad drive off and realised the mere was frozen solid right over as far as I could see. It was minus all day, mum and dad had gone out for the day, mobiles were non existent -boy was I pi@#ed off come 4 o clock!!!